Floaters are melting, why? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Floaters are melting, why?

I got some red root floater from an RAOK and they started to melt day by day. Everyday I see less and less in my tank. Why are they melting?

My CRS/CBS tank
Tank ph is about 5.8-6.0
All RO water
temp 75-77F dude to hot weather in Ca (outside temp high 90's to low 100's)
Co2 injection

I have other plants in tank that do no melt. I have fissiden, subwassertang, DHG, and micro sword. They all do fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
How much surface agitation do you have? I've always thought red root floaters as the more sensitive floaters which probably wouldn't do so well with surface agitation from your filter.

Sent from my fingers

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)
How high are your lights? I had to raise my lights about 5 inches because they were too low.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
How much surface agitation do you have? I've always thought red root floaters as the more sensitive floaters which probably wouldn't do so well with surface agitation from your filter.

Sent from my fingers
Very little agitation, I have a Aqueon 06080 QuietFlow 10 (100gph) in a 9g tank. IMOP that is low agitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlauj View Post
How high are your lights? I had to raise my lights about 5 inches because they were too low.
My light is right above the tank. The stand is sitting on the rim of tank. You think the light is too strong and its killing it?

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh yeah forgot to mention I dipped floaters in a bucket of excel for about 5 mins before putting in my tank. The ratio is 10ml in about 1/5 gallon water.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
Oh yeah forgot to mention I dipped floaters in a bucket of excel for about 5 mins before putting in my tank. The ratio is 10ml in about 1/5 gallon water.
Why?

What kind of lighting do you have?

Sent from my fingers

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Why?

What kind of lighting do you have?

Sent from my fingers
Get rid of algae?

Rayfunge 12" 7000k LED

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
When did you get them? They might bounce back if it's just shipping stress.

Otherwise it might be nutrients, your water column probably has close to zip with root feeders and other epiphytic competition. The RRF I have that are the reddest and largest are in stagnant water puddles with dirt.

current:

| retired:

|
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There shouldn't be much algae on floaters I'd say. I don't have any evidence supporting this but that's what I think.

Sent from my fingers

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
To remove algae, it might be more gentle on the plants to use H2O2 or Excel than bleach.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
RRF are the most sensative floaters ive had growing in my tanks. They will turn red under bright light or have stagnant growth with insufficient lighting. They dont do well tumbling or submerged. If you treated it with chemicals, they will likely not bounce back very well in comparison to frogbit, water lettuce with a stronger cell structure.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
When did you get them? They might bounce back if it's just shipping stress.

Otherwise it might be nutrients, your water column probably has close to zip with root feeders and other epiphytic competition. The RRF I have that are the reddest and largest are in stagnant water puddles with dirt.
I got them locally. The guy was about 20 mins away from me. Since they are floaters I think he probably pulled it out of the tank then day we meet up. If he pulled it out of the tank when he posted the RAOK it was 2 days.

I think its the agitation and maybe the excel dip. Agitation is probably due to the fan. Since its to so damn hot in Ca (low 100'sF) I have the fan on 24/7 and it moves the floater around the whole tank. Movement is not fast but it does get to go around the tank.

NIKON Pimp Club #063
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah I think the Excel denatured the already stressed root water/nutrient interface after too much time emersed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode