Brown spots on java fern....critters? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Brown spots on java fern....critters?

I have noticed that I have brown spots on the undersides of my java ferns. It is usually on the underside of each rib, but not always. When I look really close, they sort of look like clusters of brown eggs, but I have never seen any critters in my java jungle. I have looked pretty closely and removed a bunch of my java ferns for inspection, but I still don't see any critters in there. Does anyone know what this might be? The older leaves all seem to have them, but the newer leaves rarely do. They are not fish eggs though, that I am sure of. There are no breeding fish in that tank. I will post a pic as soon as my girlfriend shows up and tells me where she put her digital camera.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Poohbee Send a message via MSN to Poohbee
I believe that is how the plant propagates.... like little buds..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Hater Member # 39
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

72 Gallon All Glass Aquarium and Stand with Glass top, Eheim 2126 Pro II Thermo Canister Filter, Pressurized Co2, 260watt Coralife Lunar Lights, 100% Eco-Complete
10 Gallon Breeder tank with a Marineland 170 power filter with sponge filter attached and Marineland 100(?) heater
6 Gallon Marineland Eclipse 6, Semi heavily planted community tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 01:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
Poohbee is correct, if Java Ferns are actually ferns. The small clusters are most likely spores especially if they occur in rows or other orderly fashions. Look up "fern spores" on google and you'll find some pick to compare to (though most won't be aquatic species)

Somebody set us up the tank!
ALL YOUR FISH ARE BELONG TO US...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
It's a fern...those are sori. So the spores will eventually come out of them. If they get fertilized within their little "house" then they will spit out the typical java fern babies. Its quite an interesting little twist to the taxonomic group

Re-boot!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So, what you guys are saying is that all java ferns have little brown dots on their undersides? I saw the same thing at the LFS where I buy my ferns from when I went back there, but I have seen java ferns in other tanks that didn't have anything of the sort. Does anyone have a picture of these?
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Take it from me, they are all correct. I have about 5 medium sized java ferns, and about 4 of them got the spots that you are talking about. Now there are probably about 100 plantlets growing on top of the bigger ferns. Eventually they break off and grab onto something and get bigger from there. I have little plantlets all over the place now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm.... those look kind of gross, like some sort of critter infestation. Geez, I never see those in Amanos pictures. Maybe I will switch to a different plant that doesn't make my skin crawl, like Anubias.
-Aphyosemion

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode