Dead Melon Swords? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dead Melon Swords?

Moving some stuff around in my tank tonight, and notice the roots look really bad on 3 of my Melon Swords. They are both about 1 month old. Do I just blow it off to shipping, it was overnight shipping, but it been hot, or do I have more problems going on? Kinda scared to pull anything else up.

I have had some major Alage problems in the tank the last few weeks.

Tank is 125 Gal
Sump is 37 Gal
High pressure CO2, via reactor.

Ferts
Monday - Wednesday - Friday
KNO3 - 1.5 tsp 3x a week
KH2PO4 - 1/4 tsp 3 x a week
K2SO4 - 1.5 tsp 3 x a week
Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday
Fe/Iron Chelate 11% - 1/2 tsp 3 x a week
Plantex CSM+B - 1 tsp 3 x a week
160 Watts, T5 HO, I just turned 2 of the bulbs off a few days ago from 320 Watts. Run the lights for 8 hours a day.
Substrate is MTS, capped with titanium moon sand.
My Tank is warm, so maybe these plants don't do well in high temps. Temp is 85.
Should I just toss that plant at this point? Those black roots are mush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120815_000541.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	52368  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Mostly when I move rooted plants the old roots die back and new ones grow in, much like the old leaves die and new leaves grow on for most new plants to my tank.

Check the crown of the plant. If it is firm and there are new leaves growing and I do see healthy white roots then the plant should be fine. Take off the mush and replant if the crown is okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Yeah, what K said. I would clean up the root ball. Remove all the mushy/black roots.

85 is a bit high, hopefully just temporarily. Once temps drop below 80 the growth will be better.

Not sure about the sand, some plants might not like that so much as it limits circulation around their roots.

Finally, if your plant growth isn't great, and you are reducing light, be sure to reduce your fert dosing along with it. More isn't always better. The full EI dosing schedule applies to tanks with a lot of healthy, fast growing plants (and weekly 50% water changes, right?).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
When you first plant a rosette plant with a large mess of roots, it's best to cut the roots off to about 1" in length. That way they won't deteriorate in the substrate. Healthy roots will grow in their place, much like the white roots you're seeing now.

What I'd so is clean up all of the dead roots and cut back the healthy roots to 1"-2". Remove the older, less healthy leaves, as well. Then replant. It should grow new, healthy roots and then start putting out new, healthy leaves.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
When you first plant a rosette plant with a large mess of roots, it's best to cut the roots off to about 1" in length. That way they won't deteriorate in the substrate. Healthy roots will grow in their place, much like the white roots you're seeing now.

What I'd so is clean up all of the dead roots and cut back the healthy roots to 1"-2". Remove the older, less healthy leaves, as well. Then replant. It should grow new, healthy roots and then start putting out new, healthy leaves.

as everyon has said.. its all good advice and swords grow out gnarly awesome roots systems very quickly. don't be affraid to cut them

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode