Aqueon Evolve 8 Flow too much for Beta? Help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aqueon Evolve 8 Flow too much for Beta? Help?

This afternroon, I tranferred my Beta from a 3 gallon bowl to a Aqueon Evolve 8. I turned the pump flow speed to the lowest setting. This afternoon he seemed OK, but tonight he was pressed against the grid where the water flows out of the tank. When I unplugged the pump, he started swimming around again. When I plugged it back in again, he rather quickly was pressed against the water outet again. I unplugged the pump to give him a break tonight.

Will the Beta get used to the higher flow OR do I need to reduce the flow? If so, what is the best way to reduce the flow on this tank?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
he will likely get stressed. i have have 2 4 gallon aqueon evolves so i know what you are saying. tie a course media bag or something over the return nozel to diffuse the current. you can also try aiming it across the water line or directing the current against the glass. that works as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have this same tank
It is my shrimp tank and have a few otos in it. I don't have a problem with the flow to strong. Maybe you got a really strong pump mine is turned about 3/4 open. I also have my CO2 right under it, I can see the flow(bubbles) in the center and bottom . I turn my outlet nozzle at about 45degrees to get a good flow. This gives me good waves on top and good flow on the bottom.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I cut up a piece of panty hose, folded it over a few times, and rubber banded it to the output. That seemed to help my gouramis immensely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just bought an evolve 8 today, having the same problem, I would leave the pump off tonight, but i can't due to needing to have the heater on. :/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Create a barrier with a big bushy plant, a piece of wood, some java moss, or something similar.

I also cut slits in the output tubing to bleed some of the flow back into the sump area.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Planted Member

Pointing the return as straight diem as i can get it with the punk on the lowest setting us skit the best i can do tonight the crypts where he its resting don't seem to be moving any, I'll have to see getting a larger return tomorrow to see if that reduces the current while allowing more water circulation
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You can put filter floss into the outflow pipe.

That's what I did with my Fluval Spec 2.

Also, I stuffed black filter sponge into my intake.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Planted Member

I'll do that if i can't find a way to slow the current with out reducing the gph cycled through the filter.
Thanks.
Also found out that i need to have the water level about 2" down from the rim if i want the overflow effect to work right. :/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode