What fish should I get? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What fish should I get?

I am purchasing a 10-gallon fish tank. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquacultur...-1-ct/10312734

I was wondering what kind of fish I should get?
I already have 6 Ramshorn snails so I want to make sure the fish won't eat them :P
I don't want like OVERLY expensive fish. I am just starting out into the fish world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Galaxy Rasboras!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
galaxy rasboras are nice, I also like nearly any sort of tetra. Guppies can be a little rough on snails though but that might be a good thing for population control. I am also partial to white cloud minnows, I just think they are a pretty fish for what they are.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraedenThomas View Post
I am purchasing a 10-gallon fish tank. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquacultur...-1-ct/10312734

I was wondering what kind of fish I should get?
I already have 6 Ramshorn snails so I want to make sure the fish won't eat them :P
I don't want like OVERLY expensive fish. I am just starting out into the fish world.
You've got quite a few possible choices, even if you're only shopping the local Petsmart or equivalent. But, you're working with a very small tank and will hav to be fairly disciplined in what you get if you're not going to end up over-stocked or with a bunch of unrelated, stressed out fish.

Personally, I really like black neon tetras. They tend to be readily available, inexpensive, sturdy and only get to 1.5" mature so a school of 6 fit nicely in a 10 gallon. Harlequin rasboros, zebra danios, white cloud minnows, and any of the smaller tetras are great choices too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
personally, I think bettas are cheap, cool, nice looking fist, BUT, if you keep MORE THAN ONE, make SURE they are ALL FEMALES. males will fight with other males and may even beat up females. I had a colony of about 15 females in a 30 gallon tank. They always seemed to just chill. The females are way less flamboyant, with shorter fins, but they get big and colorful but again not as colorful as the males. Bettas are kinda hard to kill though if u get past the new tank syndrome and their numbers make them cheap. Also, if you want, they come in a vast variety of colors. In my opinion probably the best begginer fish. second are zebra danios bcuz Petco has notoriously bad stock and 4 years ago i bought 10 of them and they are still there alive and well in my 30 gal. They zip around all over the tank all the time. really awsome fish too and cheap.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks everyone. I've been hearing alot about Rasboras and Danios. I also thought about a Betta.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode