Co2 and PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 and PH

I have a 55 gal tank with Co2, and when I first installed the Co2, there were millions of bubbles on the bottoms of the leaves, and the Co2 would come on many times a day to keep the Ph between 6.8 and 7.1. I was having a bad problem with algae for a while with the increased light I added. But then almost overnight, the algae started to go away. Now the Co2 dosent come on half as much as it used to, there isnt the amount of bubbles on the undersides of the leaves there used to be, and my Ph is at times lower than the low setting on my Ph controller. I dont know if the algae and the ph /co2 are related in some way. What can cause the ph to drop on its own? I have calibrated my electrode, and checked for decaying plants or fish. Or is it possible that my Pinpoint Ph controller is faulty?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How exactly do you inject CO2?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
pH?
kH?

Fertilization routine? How much? How often?

How much light? How long is it on?

Water changes? How often? How much?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Ph is between 6.8 and 7.2 with the hi and low setpoint on my american marine pinpoint ph controller. Co2 is connected to ph controller, and goes to co2 reactor, etc. KH when tested 2 months ago was 4, GH was 7. I fertilize when plants show a need for it (substrate fertilization kit from aquariumplants.com). Light source is 260 watt compact flourescents on for 12 hours. Temprature is 73. Water changes are generally 5% every other week.
Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
So if I have this correct you are not doing any water changes to speak of. You don't have a fertilizer regimen. You have a high light tank. You have not checked your kH in two months.

So right now your kH could be 12 or even 2 and you have no idea of what the actual CO2 levels are in the tank.

I think your controller is working just fine. I would guess that your kH has crashed and the controller really doesn't need to come on at all.

Take a few minutes and read my Guide.

Right now as I see it you have an algae bomb just waiting to go off.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

yeah, I am doing water changes! I was doing 10 gallons a week (not 5%, my mistake) for months then all my fish got ICK! So I went to 5 gallons every other week. I am going to test right now for GH, and KH.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

KH is 2 or less, and GH is 6
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

if i am reading the chart correctly, with my ph of 6.79, and a KH of 2, co2 is 12mg/liter.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Also, the funny thing is my tank has never looked healthier. The algae problem dissapered, the water is crystal clear, and my fish show no signs of stress.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 12:48 AM

Water changes done properly don't cause ich. I wouldn't decrease the amount of water changed for fear of ich.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

So if my KH is 2, and my GH is 6, what should I do? Does regular weekly water changes keep the KH up? Or will I need to add baking soda?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Water changes per se don't cause ich. Low temps and other stress factors can lead to ich, depending on requirements of your fish.

Not doing water changes can lead to a gradual decrease of kH in the tank. What is the kH of your tap water? If it is 5 or so, bingo, just increase water changes. If it is lower, some baking soda can bring it up a notch or two.

It's a funny thing. If everything is fine, no algae and good plant growth and happy fish, I am inclined to say "don't fix what ain't broke" but I agree with Rex, with that much light and without proper fertilization it's just a matter of time before one or the other nutrient runs out, plant growth comes to a halt and algae takes over the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode