Milky water, UV and a dead cory :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Milky water, UV and a dead cory :(

About a month ago I noticed that the water in my 12G long is just a touch milky. I cleaned the glass and did a 50% WC in the eve. The next day - water is milky again. After a couple of 50% WCs, I added an UV sterilizer. Water cleared up back to crystal in 2 days. So, I assumed I had a bacterial bloom.

About a month later of no issues, last night, I pulled a couple of red tiger lotuses out, cleared 1 of the 2 filters, did 50% WC and turned off the UV. All WCs are done with Prime added before water is added to the tank.

This morning the water is back to milky and the C. Habrosus that was swimming in the current last night was dead on substrate.

Everything, including N is at 0. The tank is heavily planted, been up for about a year now, pressurized CO2, high light, 2 filters with pretty decent water agitation. It houses a bunch of RCS, Ram snails, 2 black molies and, now, 3 micro cories.

I have been losing micro cories in that tank over the last 6 months: no bodies, no nothing, all water params are at 0, at 78F, 6.8 pH, ~300ppm TDS, ~6 GH, ~3 KH. Shrimps and snails are multiplying by leaps and bounds. Mollies are fat.

Anything that I am overlooking?

Last edited by OVT; 08-14-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: shpelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sounds like a bacteria bloom. I lost a fish to a bad bacteria bloom milky water and I cleaned both my filters and did a huge water change. Doing that caused a big bacteria bloom. The bacteria bloom used up a lot of o2 when it is reproducing so this will caus the O2 level in the tank to get very low and this can cause lots of stress and death. I added more surface agitation to bring my O2 levels up and this helped my other fish they are still alive today and this happened a year ago.

What happens is you wipe out a huge amount of the good bacteria when you do filter cleaning with large WC. When you wipe out a lot of the good bacteria that keeps your tank cycled but keep The same amount of fish and feed the same amount. It will cause the bacteria to reproduce and mulitiple and feed off the nitrates and ammonia.

Not sure that makes sence maybe another person can explain better. But sounds like a bacteria bloom too me. Do not clean anything add more water agitation and bring the O2 level up and the fish should be ok. I added a power head to the tank.

80gal planted Angelfish community.
100gal SA cichlid, Silver dollar, and delhezi. No plants!
36 gal Planted Swordtail community.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode