House plant recommendations? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
House plant recommendations?

I have some space right next to my shrimp tank which is sitting in the window. Do any of you have any recommendations for some cool house plants? I am not talking about the ones that you pick up at the supermarket...but something a bit nicer. Would need to be easy to take care of and just run off the light that's coming through my window.

Anybody have any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
what about a wabi kusa?

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
I have a bamboo palm. Grows kind of slow, very forgiving about watering, pretty looking, and can handle lower lights. Or a dwarf banana plant would be awesome.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nice, thanks for the suggestions. I will research all of them....

Keep them coming
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Chinese bonsai
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Bonsai is cool -- you can get a juniper for $19.99 from bonsaiboy.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
African violets. They love artificial light and as long as they're watered appropriately (I use the throw-away water from my tanks), they're easy to care for.

If the art of watering is still trouble for you, go with Dracaena species (most tolerant to infrequent waterings); if you want blooms, but don't trust your watering skills go with Ivy Geranium, which can be transported outside in the summers. Suculents have the most interesting colors, shapes and tolerance for infrequent care . . .

38-Gallon Goldfish Mini-pond

20-Gallon False Neon Tetra Lagoon

20-L Xiphophorus breeding ground

20-L Xiphophorus (h, m, v) Waterway
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I offer that you start with considering the placement environment just as we do with our Aquarium plants. What is the photo period both Sun and light spill from the tank, what is the humidity and ave temp.

All that said, maybe consider Orchids. I water ours maybe 3xs since Christmas, I use w/c water. It was starting to bloom when I bought it and had equal buds to bloom. It had flowers until April/May. Mine is in a South facing window, gets Sun 10a-4p

Best deals for a beginner go to HomeDepot.

Also Bonsai are really outdoor plants that as best only visit indoors.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I offer that you start with considering the placement environment just as we do with our Aquarium plants. What is the photo period both Sun and light spill from the tank, what is the humidity and ave temp.

All that said, maybe consider Orchids. I water ours maybe 3xs since Christmas, I use w/c water. It was starting to bloom when I bought it and had equal buds to bloom. It had flowers until April/May. Mine is in a South facing window, gets Sun 10a-4p

Best deals for a beginner go to HomeDepot.

Also Bonsai are really outdoor plants that as best only visit indoors.
+1 on the Bonsai. True bonsai need outdoor and specilized care, fake bonsai (unless plastic) are typically cheap young saplings stuck in glued in gravel that die slowly enough to leave the consumer blaming themselves rather than the product.

Personally, my goto plants are philodendren and pothos. Very similar plants, they adapt well to most light conditions, are very tolerant of poor watering habits (wilting? water. yellowing? stop watering.), thrive on aquarium water and can be kept trimmed back for a fully bushy look or allowed to vine at will. Also, dirt cheap. Also good: Arrowhead and spider plants. For real no-care plants with a more architectural impact, try sansevera (often marketed as snake plant).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The common "bonsai" seen are simply made from just rooted cuttings of larger junipers.. Junipers are outdoor full sun plants. If you get a juniper bonsai and place it indoors, it will surely die in a under 2 weeks, but you won't even realize it. Because junipers can die internally, but their leaves can stay looking green for a LONG time... trickery! LOL.

You can get a small ficus-- those are completely suitable for indoors.

I recommend a Ming Aralia! They are my favorite indoors plants. They're very beautiful with weeping leaves that kind of curl.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
House Plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I have some space right next to my shrimp tank which is sitting in the window. Do any of you have any recommendations for some cool house plants? I am not talking about the ones that you pick up at the supermarket...but something a bit nicer. Would need to be easy to take care of and just run off the light that's coming through my window.

Anybody have any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
Hello hedge...

I have several to recommend. There's Peace Lily, Chinese Evergreen, Philodendron and Pothos. All extremely nice looking, medium to large plants that do well in ambient light.

I also use them emersed in my planted tanks, minus the potting mixture of course. The emersed roots, use the dissolved nutrients from the fish and snails in my tanks and I don't have to replace the tank water nearly as often.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks all.

I am really liking this Neon Pothos.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
A good looking, I think way to keep house plants is Passive Hydroponics. That can be as simple as sticking a cutting into a jar with aged Aquarium water.

I just started a Spyder plant like that. I recycled a pc of black filter sponge to plug the jar neck, cut a slit in the foam and incerted the cutting. The foam holds the plant with small new roots in place.

Knotyoureality mentioned great choices, philodendren and pothos those can be grow Passive Hydroponicly. I've noticed our local Goodwill shop always has nice glass flower vases and old beta bowls for just a few dollars. A few glass jars, vases, bowls with plants can look pretty cool growing in a window.

A very over looked option is in your kitchen, seeds from fruit.
http://www.squidoo.com/houseplantsfr...sandvegetables

I've recovered sprouted fruit seeds from our compost bin and they are some of our favorite house plants. We have a 4' grapefruit tree that's 12 years old. It does require pruning to keep it under control. Never got fruit. The leaves are much like a Ficus.

Our favorite is our Mango, it's 6-7 years old.

Both are slower grows indoors, we put them out on the deck after the frost and until the fall frost.

We've done some pineapples but just don't have the photoperiod to keep them going.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Lots of good replies here. I will research all the recommendations and see what fits my growing conditions.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
If you might like to get into some of the more scientific and advanced aspects of plant collecting then check out the International Aroid Society website...

http://www.aroid.org/

A lot of the best houseplants are aroids. You could have a lot of fun researching and shopping for philodendrons, anthuriums, Amorphophallus and many others.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode