How to clean a Penguin 200 filter? Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to clean a Penguin 200 filter? Help!

The biowheel on my penguin filter stopped spinning today. What should I do?

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
When it stops just clean your media. Never clean the wheel.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
When it stops just clean your media. Never clean the wheel.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
Ok I just cleaned the media. No difference. What the hell can I do now?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Take out and clean the rest that the two rods of the bio wheel rest on. It that doesn't work take a cotton tip with a little Vaseline and lube up the ends of the wheel then put it back in the rests and give it a few manual spins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
make sure you don't have a snail or debris blocking it, this is assuming the flow is good. If not then check and clean the lift tube.

Rod
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok thanks. I will try that tomorrow. I think the flow is good except for the wheel not spinning.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Take out and clean the rest that the two rods of the bio wheel rest on. It that doesn't work take a cotton tip with a little Vaseline and lube up the ends of the wheel then put it back in the rests and give it a few manual spins.
Wait, doesn't that mean taking the whole damn filter out of the tank?

Edit: I read something that said I should clean the impeller. I can't find anything about how to do this. Help?

Last edited by WestHaven; 08-13-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: requesting help
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just pull out the little platform where the filter tube goes down into the back of the hob.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
Just pull out the little platform where the filter tube goes down into the back of the hob.
Ok thank you. The biowheel still won't move. I cleaned the impeller in tank water. The filter will draw water for a few minutes, then stop making a siphon. I don't want to let this happen overnight. I removed all of the filter media and it made no difference. I tried it with all of the filter media back in and it works better, but sometimes it will stop making a siphon after a few minutes. Right now it seems to be working alright (hope it works through the night).

What should I do about the filter? Return it? Get a canister? I am pissed off.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Likely there are several problems which add together to stop the wheel. Cleaning the impeller is always needed over time. This sounds like a long neglected filter so there is likely to be some buildup between the bio wheel and the body of the filter. Wipe this down occasionally before it gets thick enough to drag on the wheel. Lubing the bearings at the wheel ends will help. Also if it is the type with bearings that you can remove, it is good practice to move them from one side to the other so that they wear more evenly.

User manual here:
http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfi...50.200.350.pdf
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If it loses the siphon, it sounds like the tank water level is low.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Likely there are several problems which add together to stop the wheel. . Wipe this down occasionally before it gets thick enough to drag on the wheel. Lubing the bearings at the wheel ends will help. Also if it is the type with bearings that you can remove, it is good practice to move them from one side to the other so that they wear more evenly.

User manual here:
http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfi...50.200.350.pdf
Yeah I found that manual.
Thanks. I have been feeling upset tonight for other reasons. No reason to take it out on everyone else, sorry.

Will my fish be ok through the night if the filter is still running but the bio-wheel isn't spinning? There are 2 airstones running so they have plenty of oxygen. On the filter, I see two purple pieces of plastic where the biowheel's axles rest. I am confused about what to do.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
If it loses the siphon, it sounds like the tank water level is low.
That's the thing, the water level isn't low. I added more water to the tank earlier today. I think it just loses the siphon when I unplug the filter and plug it back in.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
The impeller is probably dirty. You need to take the filter off the tank and take it to the sink. Remove the filter media and set it aside. You can float the biowheel in the tank for the time being.

When you pull off the intake arm from the filter, you should see the top of the impeller inside the filter. It will have a magnet holding it in place. Grab the impeller and pull it up, out of the filter. If it's hard to pull up, you can use some needle nose pliers to get it out (make sure they clean first).

Once you get the impeller out, you'll need to clean the impeller and clean the "hole" that the impeller was sitting in. To clean the hole, use a round brush and scrub the area. Then clean it out with water (if you have a sprayer at the sink, turn the filter upside down and spray the hole out with clean water). If the round brush was very dirty, clean it and repeat the process to make sure you got everything out.

Next, you need to clean the impeller. I usually use an old (but clean) toothbrush and clean the entire outside of the impeller. Be gentle so you don't break it. You don't have to scrub hard. Rinse the impeller in clean water. Try to get water to go through the hole inside the impeller to wash out any crud that's gotten inside.

While you're at it, take the toothbrush and clean the groves that hold the biowheel in place. Rinse the groves out with clean water.

Now you can put the impeller back in place. Put your media back in. And take it all back to your tank. Put the biowheel back on the filter. Before plugging in the filter, take a cup to get some tank water and fill the filter with tank water until it starts coming out. Now plug your filter in. While it's trying to suck up the water, use your cup to pour more water inside the filter. This will help it prime. Keep doing this until the filter finally primes and is able to function on its own. Now check to see if your biowheel is turning.

You should repeat this process at least once a month.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will do this when I get home from work tonight. The fish are looking fine this morning.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode