Depends on how you travel! If you are a risk taker, pop it in the tank and hope. If you want to be safe from the unknowns like oils,pesticides and snail eggs, a bleach soak is pretty simple.
Get a container large enough to hold the wood, add a 1/2 cup or so of regular unscented bleach ( the cheap stuff) and let it set overnight or longer. Rinse it and let it dry totally until there is no bleach smell left and then you can know it is safe.
Roll the dice or spend a little time to cut out one more little thing to go wrong, your choice. A small amount of salt is normally not a problem. The bleach soak will take care of this as well.