Need help dusting my plants. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Need help dusting my plants.

I am having trouble keeping these small brown dust ball looking things off of my plants and everything. Anyone know what i can do? Or what it migt be?
My tank is a 47 gallon with a magnum 250 on it. The plants are growing crazy theyre just dirty looking. Its not attatched to they plants like algae but more like floating debris that has settled.
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
May be diatoms, but more likely debris from lack of filtration and water circulation. A single magnum 250 is only about half of what you need for a 47g if its running at full flow, which when packed with media, probably isn't. Think about adding a second and getting a circulation pump/power head IMO :]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:14 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
May be diatoms, but more likely debris from lack of filtration and water circulation. A single magnum 250 is only about half of what you need for a 47g if its running at full flow, which when packed with media, probably isn't. Think about adding a second and getting a circulation pump/power head IMO :]
+1. Only difference is I'd recommend getting a canister filter.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thats what i thought. Wanted a second opinion before money was spent.
Thamks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
To give you some idea of what to shoot for, the general rule of thumb with planted tanks is 10x turnover rate per hour. So for a 47g tank, you'd want to shoot for around 470gph total filtration. Completely disregard the tank size notations on the filters because those are only for empty tanks (if even that).

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I get those too, especially in my 5.5 that only has a sponge filter. I don't think it affects water quality because my readings are perfect as far as nitrite, amm, and nitrate. I think it's just a buildup of plant debris and processed snail poop since the tank hasn't been stocked with anything. Just suck it up during WCs...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Definitely agree that better water circulation should help, but there's always a few low flow spots in planted tanks and stuff can get kicked up from substrates when you're working in the tank.

Most of the time I just kick up a little extra current with my hand to dust things off, but if the space is too tight I use a turkey baster to create little jets of water or to suck up bits of debris from between plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode