Need Help with EI / Dosing / Mixing / - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
pma
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Need Help with EI / Dosing / Mixing /

OK so I am a new convert to Tom Barr's EI - I read the article and I have ordered the following from Greg Watson per Rex Grigg's suggestion to bc_hawaii (since I have a 29g tank just like one of bc_hawaii's)

1 lb of KNO3 That's about 300 9 ppm doses.
2 lbs of K2SO4 That's about 100 20 ppm doses
1 lb of KH2PO4 That's a lifetime supply.
1 lb of Plantex CSM+B That's a lifetime supply.

I plan to do 50 to 70% W/C weekly on my 29 G med. planted, diy co2, profile+laterite substrate fish population - 6 neons, 3 wpg tank.

I am a little mad at my tank right now due to Green Water (again, after I rearragned my plants for the 1st time) and need your help in the correct dosage of the above as per EI. How do I mix em up, how do I store it (refrigerator?) etc.

I really appriciate all your inputs and thanks for reading this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
pma

Day1) 50% H20 CHange dose 1/4Tsp KN03 1/16 to 1/8tsp KH2P04 1/16Tsp K2S04
Day2) dose 5ml trace (in your case CSM - see greg watsons site for mixing CSM)
Day3)dose 1/4Tsp KN03 1/16 to 1/8tsp KH2P04 1/16Tsp K2SO4
Day4)same as day2
Day5) same as day3
Day6) same as day2
Day7) Rest

That is what i would do to start. I just dump those dry into a cup....take some tank water out and put it in the cup.....stir till it is mostly dissovled then dump into the tank. Done!!! You have CSM instead of flourish.....there are directions for mixing up CSM to be pretty close to Flourish on gregs site. I just leave my bags in the box they came in. I am not doing anything else for storing.

Make sure you test your refill water.....if there is N or P present you will have to adjust your reg accordingly. Also make sure you keep your CO2 about 30ppms at all times.
Good luck
jB
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
pma
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for a very detailed and very helpful reply Jason.

quick question though -
Quote:
Make sure you test your refill water.....if there is N or P present you will have to adjust your reg accordingly.
I see your point, and I have no problem with what you are saying - just looking for a clarification -> from my (poor) understanding of EI - the broad idea was that since NO4 was the main culprit in Algae (#@$#%!) formation I could be within an acceptable margin of error in OD-ing the other chemicals and everyting would be reset in the W/C on the top of the week...is that so? For example, if my tap water was a little high in N or P and I went along with your reccomended dosage as above, will not the W/C reset everything back? Don't mean to beleagure the point in any way.

Once again, thanks very much for your reply.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by pma
Thanks for a very detailed and very helpful reply Jason.

quick question though -

I see your point, and I have no problem with what you are saying - just looking for a clarification -> from my (poor) understanding of EI - the broad idea was that since NO4 was the main culprit in Algae (#@$#%!) formation I could be within an acceptable margin of error in OD-ing the other chemicals and everyting would be reset in the W/C on the top of the week...is that so? For example, if my tap water was a little high in N or P and I went along with your reccomended dosage as above, will not the W/C reset everything back? Don't mean to beleagure the point in any way.

Once again, thanks very much for your reply.

You are right about NO4.....and if your refill water only had a few ppms of one or the other there is no reason to adjust your dosage, but if there is a significant amount of P or N, you can adjust your dosage to compinsate for that. The "reset" idea behind EI is a little tricky. You do the large water change to prevent build up more the "reset" per say. Basically if you do 50% water change you will only ever accumulate 2x what you dose.
jB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode