Cloudy water in new tank...is it from the Miracle Grow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy water in new tank...is it from the Miracle Grow?

I started up a new 3 gallon tank a few days ago. I used about 3/4 inch of pre-soaked organic Miracle Grow topped with 1" of fine grain sand and gravel. Despite several 90% water changes, fresh carbon in the filter, and several days of waiting, the water is still very cloudy. Today the water is even more cloudy and also dark yellow - although I think this is because of the driftwood I added yesterday.

Could this be because of the Miracle Grow? I've heard that it causes cloudy water and ammonia spikes, but I thought that soaking it for a few days beforehand would fix that. I was also thinking that the filter (Aqueon Quietflow 10) might be kicking up the sand. Should I switch to a less powerful filter?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
It may just be a bacterial bloom or greenwater, which WILL go away eventually. However I also had this problem on a 29 gallon that I dirted and no matter what I did the cloudiness never went away, I waited for months. My 5.5 gallon, which was dirted the exact same way, never did this. I think it may be a hit and miss thing...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
the yellow tannins are normal for a while.
clouding I would guess to be from the sand or as posted a bacterial/algae bloom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
I think its a bacterial bloom, and will go away on its own. Often, when ammonia levels become high, the bacteria colonies grow in relation, which causes cloudiness. However, when ammonia levels become stable, so do the bacteria colonies. Also, 100GPH is quite a bit for a 3 gallon, a 300%+ turnover rate. It may in fact be the sand being kicked up if the outflow is reaching the bottom. You could try decreasing the flow by using filter floss or a cut up water/soda bottle and wrapping the outflow, to disperse the water.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Cloudiness will go away on its own, i just had one last week with my new tank.. nothing to worry about, soon it ill be crystal clear.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did a few more large water changes, added a filter sponge from an established tank, and switched to a less powerful in-tank filter. I'm not sure which one of those things it was, but something I did made the water clear up. It's still a little cloudy, but it's not as bad as it was before.

Thank you!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Probably a combination:
Slower water movement kicks up less debris and allows the debris that is already in the water to settle.
Colonized sponge boosts the population of microorganisms (not just N-cycle bacteria) and these eat a lot of the nutrients and debris in the water. This starves the heterotrophic bacteria that can cause cloudy water until the population is low enough to no longer cloud the water.

The water will still get yellow from the tannins in the wood, and any organic matter in the substrate. This is harmless, and will get less with time. Water changes will keep it to a minimum.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode