Can't keep temperatures down - help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't keep temperatures down - help?

I have a 46g bowfront planted tank that is in my kitchen and gets pretty much sunlight. In the winter my temperature hovers around 77 degrees, but since about early May it hasn't been below 80, and reaches 82 at its peak. The heater is set at 75 and never turns on, so obviously it's just a combination of the sunlight, the higher ambient temps and my lights. Our air conditioner is on during very hot days, set at 77, but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

The plants look Ok, but not great these past few weeks. It appears that growing has slowed a bit, and I've noticed a touch of green algae on the glass where I had ZERO over the winter. I had the same problem last summer.

I don't know that there's a solution to this problem, other closing off my kitching windows with bricks!

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
You should try to avoid direct sunlight in your tank. Is the tank in direct sunlight? You could try putting a fan on your lighting, if you dont have one already. Also, what type of filter are you using? I used to have an old magnum on my tank. My temp was always around 80....heater never went on. I had a fan on my canopy. I just thought that was the way it was going to be. Then one day i replace my filter and the temp of the tank dropped. I had to actually adjust my heater. HAHAHA. The thing never came on before, so it really wasnt ready for it. That magnum ran so hot it actually heated my tank.
jB
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban
You should try to avoid direct sunlight in your tank. Is the tank in direct sunlight? You could try putting a fan on your lighting, if you dont have one already. Also, what type of filter are you using? I used to have an old magnum on my tank. My temp was always around 80....heater never went on. I had a fan on my canopy. I just thought that was the way it was going to be. Then one day i replace my filter and the temp of the tank dropped. I had to actually adjust my heater. HAHAHA. The thing never came on before, so it really wasnt ready for it. That magnum ran so hot it actually heated my tank.
jB
Well, it's not directly in front of the window. But it does get direct light from about 2PM to 6PM. I really have no other choice since there no where else to move it to.

Hmmm...never considered the filter. I'm using a Fluval 404.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
I am in the same boat it seems. I have a 55g (220w CF) with a 30 sump (110w CF) and my temps are about 84 degrees - yipes. I'm in the process of finding a small clip on fan to get some air movement around the lights and mounting the pump outside the sump. I hope that it makes a difference - the fish can survive at 80+ degrees, but I don't think they are quite so happy anymore. I'll keep you informed.

Somebody set us up the tank!
ALL YOUR FISH ARE BELONG TO US...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourPalCM
Well, it's not directly in front of the window. But it does get direct light from about 2PM to 6PM. I really have no other choice since there no where else to move it to.

Hmmm...never considered the filter. I'm using a Fluval 404.
Yeah, I dont know about the 404's. I am using a 304 with no probs. Its kind of hard to just stop using your filter to test temps. HEHEHE. How bout a fan over your lights? I imagine the direct sunlight doesnt help.
jB
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:27 PM

On another forum I read putting frozen water bottles in the tank could help bring the temp down. But I suspect you couldn't maintain a constant temp and the fish would not be happy with the changing temps. I recently lost two fish to the high temps. I kept the lights off quite a bit and had a fan blowing right in the top of the tank. It helped a little.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had a broken thermometer which read low and the same thing has happened to me, my tank actually reached somewhere in the high 80's low 90's. So surprised nothing died. But what I did was propped my lights up 4 inches, took off the glass and blew a medium fan across the water causing it to ripple. Now with the lights propped on both of my tanks without the fan they hover around 78 and without the tops drop a bit more. My recommendation is take the tops off and get as much airflow over the tank as you can, worked for me. Don't place any ice directly into the tank as it causes cold spots and such that can harm the fish! If you must do a water change with slightly lower temps as not to shock the fish.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My tank runs between 79 and 81 degrees F and I have never had an issue.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

This is a very common problem here in Hong Kong, many aquarists who can't afford a water chiller, put array of computer fans on top of the fish tank, blowing directly on water surface. They usually get at least a 2 - 3 C drop, depends on how strong your fans are, and humidity around.

Avoid direct sunlight would probably get another 2 - 3 C out of your tank.

Eheim pimp club #48
Specs:
800L 100% Flourite
80L plant/shrimps nursery tank inconnected with the main tank
Total 600W HQI, 2 X 5200K 2 X 6500K
Eheim 2028 X 2 2080 X 1
Dupla Substrate Heater
Dupla S external reactor
Aquamedic 2hp & Teco R15 400W chillers
Sega pH Controller

Light period: 6 hours on each bulb across 12 hours
Water Parameters: pH 6.4, KH 2, GH 1, NO3 40, PO4 1 TDS 250
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think between 80 to 82 isn't going to be a huge issue, unless you have some fish particularly sensitive to high temps. Observe them and see how they're doing. If it starts shooting up into the high 80s over the summer, then you might want to think about the frozen water bottle idea. Sure it isn't a consistent temp, but then neither is a tank shooting way up in temp along with the sun each day. It beats cooked fish, that's for sure. I think a lot of people in hot climates do this.

Anyway, for now, I think you might be okay.

Pimpin' the Eheim at #153

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 05:32 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Do you have a glass hood on the tank? Evaporation is nature's way of cooling many waterways. When I had this problem, I just switched from a glass hood (which reduced evaporation AND absorbed heat from the lights when then radiated back into the tank) to an "egg-crate" cover (purchased in the industrial lighting section and Home Depot and cut to size). It dropped the temps in my tank 4-6 degrees F.

On the down side (since many things are a trade-off), I do get a fair amount of evaporation in my tank. So, if I missed a weekly water change, you can start seeing the water level in my tank fall below the black plastic rim. A good trade-off, in my mind, but something to consider.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenweis
I'm in the process of finding a small clip on fan to get some air movement around the lights and mounting the pump outside the sump.

That's what I did last year when it got real hot. An open top will help a lot too. The evap rate was really high (about 1/2 g a day) but it kept my temp. down from 90 to about 82ish.

Re-boot!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

Have the fans blowing directly into water surface which greatly increase water vaporation rate will benefit much more than blowing into your lights and other things, this is a proven method of owners all over the tropic.

Eheim pimp club #48
Specs:
800L 100% Flourite
80L plant/shrimps nursery tank inconnected with the main tank
Total 600W HQI, 2 X 5200K 2 X 6500K
Eheim 2028 X 2 2080 X 1
Dupla Substrate Heater
Dupla S external reactor
Aquamedic 2hp & Teco R15 400W chillers
Sega pH Controller

Light period: 6 hours on each bulb across 12 hours
Water Parameters: pH 6.4, KH 2, GH 1, NO3 40, PO4 1 TDS 250
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan
I think between 80 to 82 isn't going to be a huge issue, unless you have some fish particularly sensitive to high temps. Observe them and see how they're doing. If it starts shooting up into the high 80s over the summer, then you might want to think about the frozen water bottle idea. Sure it isn't a consistent temp, but then neither is a tank shooting way up in temp along with the sun each day. It beats cooked fish, that's for sure. I think a lot of people in hot climates do this.

Anyway, for now, I think you might be okay.
I'm not really too concerned about the fish. As you said, at 82 degrees it shouldn't be much of an issue. My problem is more the plants which seem to be growing slower, and don't look quite as thriving and healthy as they did in the winter. Nothing else has changed except the temperature rise.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 04:35 PM

Also, I would watch the heater very carelly throughout the day to see if in fact it doesn't come on. I had my heaters set at 80 and the tank temperature reached 87 few weeks ago according to my digital thermometer. I have two heaters, Rena and Ebo Jager and I saw them coming on. To make the long story short, I was inclined to trust the digital thermometer than the temp dial on the heaters. Since, I have unplugged Rena heater and still reduced the Ebo heater setting. Once a day it still comes on. Now the temperature is at around 81-82 and that's where I want to keept it.

Our backyard is facing SW and we're getting 12 hours of sunlight. We keep our blinds closed the whole day and it makes a big difference.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode