how long does manzanita leech tannins? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
how long does manzanita leech tannins?

I have about 20 branches of manzanita branches all around 2 feet long. It's been soaking outside for 3 weeks, and still leeching tannins like crazy. :s The water turns a dark tea color every 4 days still.

They've all already sunk though-- they sunk by the third day I began soaking, which was cool. But the leeching is taking so long, and my patience is running out (as is my summer break...).

How long do you estimate the leeching will last for these size branches?
I can't have carbon in the aquarium to soak up the tannins, because I have a ton of plants LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Id say about a month or two. Just put them into the tank and the color will eventually go away with the periodic water changes. It wont hurt anything in the tank.

• Newest Journal:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • My Visit to the ADA Nature Aquarium Gallery -
    -
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My tank is sitting in full sun every day. The water gets to around 90 degrees for many hours. Is this harmful to the wood? Will it decompose? Does it make tannins leech faster?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
To my knowledge, would cannot rot/decompose if it is fully submerged. I have no clue how temp would effect leaching though.

I bought some manzi about 4 months ago and it is still leaching tannins a little bit. I am dealing with thinker - stump like pieces though. I don't feel they hurt anything though. Just put them in the tank. Over time, with enough water changes, they will dissipate.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
My tank is sitting in full sun every day. The water gets to around 90 degrees for many hours. Is this harmful to the wood? Will it decompose? Does it make tannins leech faster?
Ok, As for that question, yes warmer water will leech the tannins much faster. Most people in fact just boil the wood for a day or 2 and it gets the tannins right out. I have a mopani log thats been leaching for 3 years. Yeah seriously. Tannans have no effect on anything in the tank accept the fact that the water can get tea colored without regular water changes. Carbon in your filter also helps but if your dosing ferts then it will remove them as well. So my suggestion would be, if the branches are small enough to boil then I would do it because it will really help it along.

Sorry, just noticed you said they were 2 feet long, stick one end in and boil it and then the other lol. Also sun wont hurt the branches so dont worry about that. good luck

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Whew, thanks for the answers guys. I was beginning to think my $50 would just rot away. Thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode