Green Water!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green Water!!

I have setup a planted tank for almost 3 weeks. Till now i am still experiencing green/cloudy water, despite having ceremic rings and nitrate stones in my canister filter. I have tried most kinds of medication to cultivate "good bacterial" in my tank still invained. The latest i add in my tank was the biological solution from NUTRAFIN brand.

Can anyone tell me will putting a packet of the "CHEMIPURE" into my tank help?

*stress*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

I just set mine up and the first thing I did is add Purigen to my canister filter. I'm not saying it might have prevented me from having water clarity problems but it did not hurt. I have heard if you use carbon it will take up your micro nutrients up. There is carbon in chemi-pure. Also the Purigen is recyclable. That doesn't hurt either. I would give it a try.

Paulette

75 gal planted is now a reality!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mermaid,

Could you tell me more bou the Purigen?

*cheers*

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
Purigen is pretty awesome - I'm not sure what all it takes up, but it changes color as its absorption capacity gets full. You can recharge it with household bleach/water mixture - this restores its color as well as capasity to absorb. After the bleach you soak it is some dechlorinator/water solution, and you are good to go.

I would recommend getting either two 100g packets or one 250g container with a couple seachem Bags. This way you will always have some in the filter while the other is being recharged. The seachem bags can also take the bleaching, so you never have to remove the purigen pellets (tiny things they are) once you put them in there. It looks kind of expensive, but since you can recharge it over and over again - it is worth it.

Somebody set us up the tank!
ALL YOUR FISH ARE BELONG TO US...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Algae Grower

You just put it in your canister, but I would put it in a fine mesh bag first because it is a very fine granular substance to save it and keep it from getting in your filter. The below sites tell you about it, and also a FAQ. Everyone that I know that has used it, said it was good stuff in fresh and saltwater. Best thing is it is reuseable so it is not so expensive.

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/Purigen.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen_faq.html

However, even though Purigen will clear it up for you, you need to find out what caused it. That I am not knowledgeable enough to help you yet. Maybe if you give us your parameters and your routine maintenance, someone then can help you with this problem.

Paulette

75 gal planted is now a reality!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help.

I will go get it from my aquarium store tomorrow.

*cheers ya!*
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:39 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't know anything about the meds/chems you folks are adding to your tanks, but I'm worried that you're quick-fixing a more serious/chronic problem. Adding meds/chems is not a sustainable way to maintain a healthy tank, and it's very important to get your parameters in check. GW happens for a reason, I've battled it myself. Check to see if you have a very high concentraton of NO3 (cause by over-dosing, too high bioload, too much feeding, not enough plants, infrequest water changes) in your tank. If you do, do a large water change, dose with ferts, feed your fish, and then completely black the tank out (leaving only the filter and heater (if you use one) on) for 72 hours. At the end of the blackout, do another large water change, dose again, and you should be good to go...I've found that blackouts are a good method of 'resetting' your tank so to speak. The fish and plants can live through them without adverse effect, and they allow you to clean the slate and try to get everything back in order. Good luck with it...

kyle
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IMO Green water is caused by Ammonia/ Nitrite. Since this is a new tank it is probably cycling like a traditional fish tank especcially if there is a small biomass of plants. Generally folks who are successfull pack tons of fast growing stem plants to absorb these initial elements from the the water. Using chemicals and fancy filter media is not the way to go about this if this is a typical planted tank. One thing I'd be concerned about is that it aborbs Nitrate- which is a vital macronutirent for the plants.

If it was my tank I'd rent/ buy/ borrow/ steal a UV sterlizer and hook it up. The tank will clear in 3 days. If conditons are favorable to the plants then you will never see green water again.

Jeff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

Get a uv sterilizer. One more time, get an uv sterilizer. After your water clears fill your tank with as many stem plants as possible. Check out Rex Grigg's website, http://rexgrigg.com A rule of thumb the less chemicals that are in your tank the better.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoperator
Get a uv sterilizer. One more time, get an uv sterilizer. After your water clears fill your tank with as many stem plants as possible. Check out Rex Grigg's website, http://rexgrigg.com A rule of thumb the less chemicals that are in your tank the better.
I second the UV sterilizer suggestion.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode