Portable Air Condition Recommendation? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (470/100%)
Question Portable Air Condition Recommendation?

So its starting to get warm here. The heat wave have gotten me really scared. The last couple of days I had been struggling to keep my tanks 80F and below.

I think I should invest in a portable AC unit than chillers because each chiller is about $200-$300 right and if I got one for every tank, it will probably just will cost as much to run them as an AC unit only for my room.

My room is about 200 sq.ft.

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 28 - Pharmacist.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If you have a window you can use, get a window unit. The portable units are GARBAGE. For one, the entire unit is in the room so even though it is ducting the warm air out, it is still adding to the heat of the room. It is a big hot unit in the middle of your room. Much the same way chillers tend to heat up the rooms they are in while cooling the tank.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It will be far more practical to just cool the tanks. If it is a temporary situation, there are several things to do that cost far less than AC. Turning out some lights on the tanks, fans to cause evaporation, opening lids to let air in, are all way cheaper than AC. If it is for you to cool, that is a different question.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Hi My,
What about using a clip on fan. My tanks are about 70 with the fan.

Don
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
You should be able to get a 6,500 for about 150 And it will keep the room more then cool. It will also help with humidity in the room.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
It will be far more practical to just cool the tanks. If it is a temporary situation, there are several things to do that cost far less than AC. Turning out some lights on the tanks, fans to cause evaporation, opening lids to let air in, are all way cheaper than AC. If it is for you to cool, that is a different question.
I wish I could, but I don't have $1,000 to spend on chillers to keep all my tanks cool ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgyello04 View Post
Hi My,
What about using a clip on fan. My tanks are about 70 with the fan.

Don
Unfortunately they haven't been working for me at all lately

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 AM
SCAPEr

I feel ya. I keep my DIY computer fan 24/7 and the lowest temp I can get is 76F with the lights off during the day. At night I turn my lights on and temp is still 74F with the fan on. I haven't seen my thermometer reads 72F for like 10 days already.

Shrimps are fine, no deaths whatsoever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just go to homedepot and take a look at portable air conditioners. I got one years ago for about 100, the window kind and it worked well. Just really noisy but would keep a small room ice cold. Costco is another option as they have a lot of ac's there.

... oh and if your shrimps/tanks are considered a business, a/c = business expense
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
ill second the window unit. spend about 100-200 bux and ur set. even if it keeps the room at 80. it will dehumidify the room and allow for fans to do a beter job of coolin the tanks

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

This is the exact model that I am looking to get:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-El...T05LQ/20449871

Excellent reviews!

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep those kind are good but are a bit heavy. If you have more money to spend you could consider these kind that have a hose that connects to the window so it's easy maneuver around (rather than putting the entire unit on the window itself)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...30995*&topnav=
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have both a portable AC (the kind with the hose that gets vented out the window) and one that's mounted in the window, so I can actually compare them pretty much side by side (different parts of the house). They are pretty similar in BTU's, (11,000 vs 12,000) but the window mounted one is much more efficient, and much quieter. If at all possible, get a window mounted AC. Only go for the portable one if that's your only option.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I still suggest it would be far better to just cool the tanks. It just takes a bit of thinking to get by with cooling the tanks without AC or chillers. If you like high tech and expensive that will work but if you want to save money, work with what you have. Move a spray bar so that it shoots water up and falls back. Lower the tank water level to get more splash if you use HOB filters. Open lids and/or add fans to increase evaporation. In the desert evaporative coolers are the only type air conditioning many use. It will work the same on your tanks.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Look on Craigslist for ac's. We got a huge one cheap and it's worked for years
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
The cheap $100 units don't come with temperature control. What I did in undergrad was get a cheap on/off thermostat controlled outlet, here's one for $30. I don't remember if Walmart was cheaper.

This way you can just set it to 78F and forget about it.

current:

| retired:

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode