DIY or reef ready? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY or reef ready?

I have a low tech 56g and plan on getting a new tank soon. I haven't decided on the size yet but it will be between 120g-150g. I plan on doing a sump with a refugium. Would you guys recommend buying a reef ready tank or not? Obviously if I bought one that wasn't, I would have to drill the holes myself. What are your thoughts and why? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I can't think of any down sides to using a reef-ready tank, assuming all you mean is that it is predrilled and set up with overflows. Plumbing is plumbing, no matter if you are putting salt water or fresh water through it.

I guess just balance the cost of a predrilled tank against whether you have the time/skill to do it yourself. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
if you plan on doing co2, the long drop for the overflow on a reef ready tank will degas your co2 for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry, that's what I meant by reef ready. Pre-drilled with more than likely a single corner flo. It's roughly $300 cost difference between one that is and one that's not. Thanks for the quick reply.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
if you plan on doing co2, the long drop for the overflow on a reef ready tank will degas your co2 for sure.
Aren't there people using both CO2 and a sump for filtration?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamp View Post
Aren't there people using both CO2 and a sump for filtration?
I was until yesterday. My co2 consumption was through the roof and proved to no longer be worth it. I am going back to low tech in that tank and will run my co2 on a smaller tank without a sump.

Semper Fi
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I was until yesterday. My co2 consumption was through the roof and proved to no longer be worth it. I am going back to low tech in that tank and will run my co2 on a smaller tank without a sump.
I guess I will have to go low tech then. I was under the assumption that people were doing both successfully. Oh well. Semper Fi Devil. Sgt/0311 from 96-04
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
GO DIY! drill it, and use a full siphon overflow. You can design a sump/ overflow to really have quite low co2 expenses. RR's won't flow but 400gph quietly, I have ~1200 gph through my system, silently (besides the pump).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy View Post
GO DIY! drill it, and use a full siphon overflow. You can design a sump/ overflow to really have quite low co2 expenses. RR's won't flow but 400gph quietly, I have ~1200 gph through my system, silently (besides the pump).
Good to know. Do you mind sharing your design? I was thinking for the sump:
In>return>refugium with the input split 80/20 to the mechanical filtration and the refugium respectively

Edit: Full siphon as in Herbie, correct?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PM me your email, I'll get you pictures of a few of mine.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How large of a sump are you planning by the way?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PM sent

Probably a 40-50g
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have used a sump on my tank since 2000 and would not want to run a tank without one. My 180 gallon tank uses about 10 pounds of CO2 every 2 months and the sump isn't even well sealed up. The current covered 180 gallon tank uses about the same amount of gas as the open top 100 gallon tank did. Covering the tank and reducing sump turbulence by using a Herbie overflow is the difference.

My next tank will be drilled for sure, likely a used RR with a single corner or end overflow but my dream tank is exactly this. External overflow located on the end panel but likely a Herbie rather than a Beananimal. Keeping the main drain covered with a sponge has worked just fine all these years, really don't see the point of that third drain.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=137043

Currently my sump is a beat up 40 gallon acrylic breeder with Poret sponges dividing the tank in two, one side for the drains and heaters and one for the return. Since part of the sponge is out of the water someday I would love to put in a couple of dividers so the return still serves as the refuge for baby platies and surfing otos but water is forced through all of that expensive sponge.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Last edited by Kathyy; 08-11-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: fixed URL
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post

sad to see you leave the market.. i still love my wet/dry sump and overflow that wastes c02
it really do't use that much.. but my sump is very simple. only one chamber to seal. duck tape and a pinhole are ur friends

Sump Pimp #7

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Kathyy-That is a very cool set up. Just one more option out there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode