Electrical bill has doubled on t5's! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Electrical bill has doubled on t5's!

Hi guys I've started using t5 lights for the last two months, used to use LEDs only, so I have 6 x 80 watt t5 unit but on average run only 3, but we just got our quarterly bill for electricity and it has gone up from $500 to over $900 for only 3 months!
I've checked all the readings of the bill match the meter and it all appears correct.
So my question to t5 users is- have you seen such a massive increase on your electricity bills also?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Holy moley!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
NO. There is no way they are responsible for this.... Do you have air conditioning/electric heat/electric water heat? How does this compare to this time last year?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
NO. There is no way they are responsible for this.... Do you have air conditioning/electric heat/electric water heat? How does this compare to this time last year?
yeah, most fluorescent bulbs only cost a few dollars per year to operate.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If that was the case, most of us (all of us) wouldn't be in this hobby...

I hope you get this figured out!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good to know it can't be the bulbs, so are we sure? Only a few dollars for the lights? Even if I ran all 480 watts of t5 it should only be that low price?
Never in 30 years have we paid more then 600 a quarter, so we can't explain why it's so high and either can the elect company, they gave us $100 off this bill at least.
Nothing has changed to cause the high bill other then my new aquarium so we can't figure it out.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I am running multiple MHs, 3 of them, and my electric bill did not go up by much, something else is going on with your bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
hows your heater/chiller? multiples?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. It best to call up a professional to check your electrical usage.

Electric companies have been known to make clerical errors and overcharge.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Sounds like a meter or a meter reading problem.

I had a neighbor whose water bill went up 10X over normal. They tried to tell her (82 Y.O. widow) that maybe her kids are taking long showers or maybe she filled her swimming pool.

Her son (60y.o.) happens to be a full partner in a Law firm. He got involved, the meter was bad. But, imagine how many people get taken advantage of where the bill is on;y 5-10% over normal.

OP. - Make someone come out and check your meter.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like you can benefit from a Kill-a-watt device. It can help determine what's eating your power. Not sure of your electrical outlets there though.http://www.p3international.com/produ.../p4400-ce.html
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
It is really simple to calculate what your additional energy cost will be.

Take the wattage, multiply it by how many hours you run it in a month, and multiply it by what the company charges you.

So lets say you run 240W for 8 hours a day and pay 15c/kWh.

That would be 240x8x30x15/1000 = 864c = $8.64.

What matters isn't LED vs T5 vs MH - it is the total wattage you are running.

Now that said, if nothing else has changed, I'd look into DogFish's suggestion regarding a mal-functioning meter. Obviously, running non-stop air condition, halogen lights to light up your back yard, and the neighbor plugging in to heat his hot tub would be more likely explanations.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi kegz,

Let's do some quick math. Although I don't know your exact cost per KWH but it appears that in your area of Australia it costs about $0.255 per KWH. I am also going to assume you run your light 8 hours per day. Here are come quick and dirty computations:

80 watt light / .85 ballast efficiency = 94.11 watts (0.09411 kilowatts) per hour per bulb electricity use from your utility

At $0.255 per KHW the cost to burn one bulb for one hour is approximately $0.024 (about 2.5 cents).

Now running 3 bulbs for eight hours will cost $0.024 X 3 X 8 = $0.576 per day

Assuming 90 days in your billing cycle your cost to run three 80 watt bulbs for eight hours per day should add $51.84* to your electric bill. (Assuming your cost per KWH is $0.255 per KWH)

*Note: Your actual mileage may vary; does not include filter(s), heater(s), or other associated items.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Now thats some serious breakdown guys on the numbers. thanks for posting that for us all to examine our own bills.

I know that running 7 tanks is taking a toll on my electric bill and my wife's patients (lol) but now knowing the numbers, to calculate, I can termine if I need everything I am using or can I cut down on tanks? With my breeding tanks its hard but do I really need 2 90 gal display tanks? Lol, yeah!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Electrical costs per KWH vary a lot so don't use these figures for your own. Normally you can find the correct price per kilowatt listed on the bill. Many times simple decisions like setting your computer to stay on full time can add as much to the bill as a new light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode