PLEASE HELP: ID this algea, brown stuff eating away my recent flooded tank from DSM - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Exclamation PLEASE HELP: ID this algea, brown stuff eating away my recent flooded tank from DSM

so i had this tank set up as DSM for about two months, just recently flooded about two weeksago, everything went great until i noticed my rocks were instantly brown one day, i have dry ferts, just waiting for my tiny spoons to get here to dose, im assumin its from the light being on for about 9 hours a day, im running high co2 about 5bps and i noticed a little algea before, and some melting, i dosed a tiny bit of excel but not much since i didnt want my plants to melt away..... but now it looks like this....

By cakenutz at 2012-08-09

i've been doing water changes 2x a week and complete changes, about 90% of the water, i dont have any livestock in it, trying to grow a carpet first maybe its from the flourite?? i have flourite under my eco complete

please help, wanna correct this fast and get my tank back on track before its too late

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diatoms are the most common thing also called brown algae.
It is easy to dislodge with even a soft brush, but hover really close with the siphon to get it out. It will keep coming back for perhaps a month or so, then not be much of a problem.

Diatoms need silica in their body. When rocks, many substrates and even glass is first submerged there is silica in the water. Removing the diatoms is removing the silica. If they just die in the tank their silica is recycled into new diatoms.

Several fish will eat it including Otos and Mollies. If your tank is stable enough to introduce fish, you might try a few Otos. Be sure to clean up their waste, it is high in silica.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think ramshorn snails will also eat that.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diaton algae, adding duckweed clears it up really well.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
oh man never add duckweed.

NEVER
ADD
DUCKWEED.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I recently had a very similar experience. I have seryu stones in mine. 2 months in I had a diatom outbreak with the brown sludge on my anubias mostly but also some rocks. I used a diatom filter simply because I did not want to wait 2 months for them to naturally go away. It worked.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobfreak View Post

Never
add
duckweed.

lol,

YOU HAVE NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
You will never get the duckweed out of your tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ha ha ha i HATE DUCKWEED..... ITS THE DEVILS PLANT.... i will never use it again!!

thanks guys for all your input, i really appreciate the time an effort! i will just leave it be for a bit, scrub here and there and dose regularely then introduce some ottos

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobfreak View Post

NEVER
ADD
DUCKWEED.

The stuff is a PITA to take out of your tank once in. Find a different route, maybe like Salvinia or Red Root Floaters if you'd want floaters

Ottos love diatoms and will eat it right up. Same with even pond or ramshorn snails. Plus, the snails can last through a cycle so it's even better (except for the multiplying part)! My RCS also eat this stuff

You could also use a small brush like someone else stated earlier to rub it off

Your last option would be just to let nature do it's thing. Diatoms go away after having the tank up and running for about a month to 2 months. It just goes away on its own.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hmmmm well maybe i'll toss in a snail, just to see what happens lol, and its not bad, it hasnt affected the plants much, mainly just the rocks and a little of the glass im not quite sure its cycled enough for some ottos but we shall see, havent really added anything to help cycle the tank, but its been flooded for about a month now....

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man some amano shrimp will do
The trick. I don't care for snails, they do the job, but they multiply. But what ever you do don't even mention duck weed the algae at least goes away

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ha ha duck weed is seriously the devils plant...... it comes from hell, im almost certain of that, its destroying a massive 80lb driftwood i had covered with java moss and took a year to grow in, and now its destroyed.....

what about nerite snails? or assasins? i have a bunch of those and they dont seem to multiply as bad as the usuals

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am not a snail guy, some folks love them and get great results

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so i put in one snail for now, its starting to go away, my guess is from my fert dosing

ridin solo!

By cakenutz at 2012-08-17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode