Fungi on Driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Fungi on Driftwood

I set up a new low-tech planted tank with some driftwood exactly 1 week ago. I noticed there are large amounts of white fungi growing on the emersed wet side of the driftwood. Will it go away eventually, or is there anything I can do to remove it permanently?

Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
get some shrimp and they'll go to work on that or clean it with a toothbrush
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 AM
kei
Algae Grower

let it sit in the sun for a few days to dry out the fungus.

-bowfront, fluval 209, coralife 65watts 6500k on 12 hours ,1:1 flourite and pea gravel, DIY CO2, fully submerged 120Watt heater temp set at 79 F

Plants
-red ludwiga, riccia, microsword, amazon sword, indian water star, lloydiella green, water wisteria

Fish
-siamese algae eater, 2 panda cory, 10 neon tetra, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 rainbow.. err.. rainbow somethings he he

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
get some shrimp and they'll go to work on that or clean it with a toothbrush
Will shrimp even leave the water to eat that? The driftwood is above the water level.

Quote:
let it sit in the sun for a few days to dry out the fungus.
That won't prevent it from coming back again though.

What if I add excel directly on to it?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

shrimp might eat it or try snails, drying it out might work

So a guy walks into a Pet Store

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I don't think the shrimp will crawl out of the water to eat it. They'll only eat what's under the water.

You can clean it off with a toothbrush, but it may be awhile before it stops coming back. I'm not sure what will happen if you squirt Excel on it. I'd try a small area first, maybe in the back, so if you don't like the results, you won't have to stare at it all the time. H2O2 might be effective, too, or it might bleach the wood. Hard to say.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's definetly a fungus not algae thats for sure.

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I get really bad hair algae when I buy drift wood from the petstore 2 out of 2 times now. The first the Netrites snails and shruimp ate it along with my Bamboo shrimp. It didn't last long. The one I got now same thing hopefully it doesn't last long. I have noticed that it only forms on the light colour wood not the dark. So if your going to buy drift wood I would suggest getting the dark over the light to save from algae or mold issues.

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you have a small fan you can orient towards it that might work, but usually fungus just dies out on its own if you let it grow a little. I had lots of mold on the wood in my vivariums but it went away in a few weeks...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies!

I got it cleaned up for now. I used a toothbrush and it basically disintegrated quickly. I think it will probably come back, but at least it's easy to remove.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
When it comes back, take a small brush, like a pastry brush, and brush on some hydrogen peroxide directly to the fungus and all around the area. Fungus dies almost instantly with that stuff. You brush it on instead of spraying it because the mist and dripping could go into the tank and harm the livestock. While peroxide *does* break down into essentially water and oxygen, it takes a bit to do it and in the mean time it could hurt the fish.

When you do as you did with the brush, all you did is move it around. It will fruit again, and in brushing it around you might have inadvertently increased the infected area.

H2O2 is your friend.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode