Why did pearling stop? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why did pearling stop?

During the first week, my plants were pearling and I could see the O2 bubbles. My parameters did not change: 6KH and 7pH => ~20ppm CO2. The nitrates are 40ppm and phospates are 5ppm(I know it is too high but I have not dosed phospates for 2 weeks and after 2 water changes it is still 5ppm. No algae though!) However, I do not see bubbles any more! I have some floating plants which I suspect may be blocking the light. What other conditions may cause pearling to stop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some plants are more of root feeders as well. Maybe some plants are not outputting as much and its causing the overall saturation to go down. Light blockage could be the cause as well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 PM

pearling means oxygen saturation of the water. you no longer have saturation, so no pearling. CO2 is a bit low IMO.
You could be low on potassium, iron or other traces, and thus plants are stagnant.

And get nitrates/phosphates down, before you have an algae bloom...those are just no fun at all.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Check your ferts. In the first week it won't take much to get the plants to pearl but, as they mature they will want more fert's then before. I would say after about 4 months the plants will be fully mature and a formula can be made. But for now try adding more co2. Bump it to 30ppm and don't dose any kno3 and phosphates. Wait intill they 0 out then start to add them back in. Keep adding iron and trace though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
how certain are you of your phosphate test kit? it could be that you're not really at 5ppm, and you're not adding any new in, in turn leaving your plants desiring more phosphate. you're true phosphate level might be near 0ppm. however, *don't* just assume this is right and dump some PO4 in until you double check with another test kit from a friend or at LFS (most good ones will test your water for free, just take them a sample from the tank)

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I am not so sure about the phosphate kits. I know there is a uncertainty in all test kits. I am trying to look at the plant behavior and start my own EI eventually. The kit may be wrong actually. I have not does K for 2 weeks and it is still 5ppm. I will check it with another test kit.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

Wink

You said you haven't dosed K for two weeks and it is still at 5ppm. K stands for Potassium not phosphate. Phosphates table ID is PO4. If you are not dosing Potassium I would strongly recommend dosing it. My plants didn't start pearling until I started dosing K. Use the EI method; you can't go wrong.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfide
Thanks for all the replies. I am not so sure about the phosphate kits. I know there is a uncertainty in all test kits. I am trying to look at the plant behavior and start my own EI eventually. The kit may be wrong actually. I have not does K for 2 weeks and it is still 5ppm. I will check it with another test kit.

Phosphates and K (potassium) are two different things. Check your test kit using some distilled water.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the correction. I was thinking Phosphate but wrote K instead. I used to confuse potassium and phospate abbreviations even at high school.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode