First planted aquarium, am I on the right track? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted aquarium, am I on the right track?

Noob 1st post/planted tank with tons of questions, please go easy on me . A fellow reefer donated me his new Fluval Edge 6g so I'm decided to turn it into a simple iwagumi style planted aquarium. Been doing lots of reading on this forum and googling around, I would love to hear your opinions on this plan. Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments and apologies if I post in the wrong place or ask too many questions.

What I've done to the tank so far.

Tank: Fluval Edge. I frosted the back with window frosted film. I made a box out of frosted acrylic to hide those heater, temp/pH probe, hob filter's tube...

Light: I gutted the old light, planning to do LED with ~9 XP-G but not sure of the color temperature. Which white look good with plant? Warm, neutral, or cool? White is enough or should I add some blue or other color too?

Controller: My old ReefKeeper Lite to control heater, co2, light, ph...

Co2: I got a 5 lbs tank with electronic solenoid/regulator. I'm planning to dose co2 straight to the HOB filter's pump, hopefully the impeller will chop-up the bubble to create extra contact time and the filters to stop the co2 bubbles from going to the tank. Hope this method work so I don't have to use the diffuser. I also ordered the drop checker as well, is this a good method to measure co2 or should I monitor pH as well?

Substrate: I'm going with just Amazonia II powder, I think the regular size is too big for nano tank, what do you think? Do I need anything else underneath the Amazonia soil or it's fine by itself?

Plants/livestock: I'm trying to keep thing nice and clean, probably just hc, flame or christmas moss, and maybe dwarf hair grass. For livestock, I'm planning on crs, amano, and perhaps some oto and nerite later on.

I'm planning to do the dry start method with hc for a month or 2 and the rest will go in when filled.

That's it for now, thanks for reading .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
I love the idea of the white window frost. You could almost put like changing led lights behind the tank for amazing colors. And oohh! if you put a bright light back there your filled tank pictures will be amazing!

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Welcome! Those tanks are pretty popular! If the glass top gets in the way ever, I've heard of people using a razor to remove it for free access - that may also open up lighting possibilities.

I'm sure others will chime in re: DIY lighting for this tank and CO2 suggestions - I have no experience with either. I've never used Amazonia either but I've heard good things about it...I've always used regular ol' gravel.

Plant choices sound good - you must have a great amount of patience to do a dry start (something I lack!). Livestock choices sound good to me, but I've always just had cherry shrimp. I am a big fan of otos though but it's tough getting them acclimated.

best of luck and I look forward to more pics!

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
I love the idea of the white window frost. You could almost put like changing led lights behind the tank for amazing colors. And oohh! if you put a bright light back there your filled tank pictures will be amazing!
Thank you. Hmm.. color changing LED sounds like a nice idea, I saw some at Ikea the other day, I'll give it a shot when I finished with the build. Maybe I can recycle the stock halogen somehow....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by if_fishes_were_wishes View Post
Welcome! Those tanks are pretty popular! If the glass top gets in the way ever, I've heard of people using a razor to remove it for free access - that may also open up lighting possibilities.

I'm sure others will chime in re: DIY lighting for this tank and CO2 suggestions - I have no experience with either. I've never used Amazonia either but I've heard good things about it...I've always used regular ol' gravel.

Plant choices sound good - you must have a great amount of patience to do a dry start (something I lack!). Livestock choices sound good to me, but I've always just had cherry shrimp. I am a big fan of otos though but it's tough getting them acclimated.

best of luck and I look forward to more pics!

I learned to be patient in my years of reefing, as long as there's reward, I'll wait . I was looking at cherry shrimp too, can amano/crs/cherry safe together?

I was thinking about remove the top glass as well to open thing up for the light to penetrate but on the other hand I prefer to keep it close because my toddler son...

I'll add more pictures as thing progress.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The LEDs

The fan.

Dim at 30%.

Full blast.

Where the tank will be.

The rest of the hardwares coming soon. I also planning to put in the chiller but still scratching my head on how can I put it in without drilling the glass, any idea?

The Amazonia soil I ordered finally arrived today along with Bacter 100 and Super Clear. I'm planning to do dry start, can I add in Bacter 100 and Super Clear without filling the tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode