Largest fish for a 29 gallon tank?

Like the title says, what's the largest fish i can get in my tank? Thanks

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well 29g is good for a community tank with some decent size guys in there (3-4 inchjes at the most). You're not going to be able to house larger fish like angels, discus, oscars, arowanas, etc. Some interesting and very pretty fish are dwarf cichlids like apistogrammas or german rams. If you get a breeding pair, that would be good to have and just surround them with some other shoaling fish (kind of like what you have in your signature)

When in doubt, use this: http://www.aqadvisor.com/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not the best idea to put a large fish inside a smaller thank like that. Pick a fish that will be comfortable. Some tetras, danios, shrimp, etc. It is quite upsetting seeing a larger fish in a tank it does not belong in. It's like taking a house of 6 people and cutting it down into 1/4 of the original size and expecting the family to function like normal. All due respect my man. Best of luck.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
The largest fish you could fit there would be only 1 Angelfish and a couple more neons and cories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Algae Grower

I thought angelfish ate neons for snacks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The problem with the 29 gallon isn't really the volume of water, it's the surface area. If I remember right, the 29 gallon tanks are more tall than long, so the swimming area is small. I would stick to smaller community fish that don't need swimming room. I like the german rams too though and oto's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio2090 View Post
I thought angelfish ate neons for snacks

This varies enormously. Mine's never taken anything larger than the smallest of molly fry--annoying really, as he was supposed to eat *all* of them and now I've got leftovers swimming around the tank and needing to be rehomed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
ditto the german ram suggestion - they are beautiful!

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradleoffilthfan View Post
The problem with the 29 gallon isn't really the volume of water, it's the surface area. If I remember right, the 29 gallon tanks are more tall than long, so the swimming area is small. I would stick to smaller community fish that don't need swimming room. I like the german rams too though and oto's.

no they are longer than tall.

currently i'm experimenting in my 29 with golden wonder killifish and german blue rams. its been working for about two weeks now. i also have reticulated hillstream loachs. I'm waaaaay over stocked. but check out my sig to see how i'm running mine.

i've had apistos and gbrs in that tank before. i prefer the apistos, but i couldn't find anything locally that i wanted. so i went with GBRs

Will

on Facebook.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Within reason, I'd say no larger than 5 inches. People do keep oscars in ten gallon tanks, though, so I'd say that if you were really bent on it you could cram a peacock bass in there.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
no they are longer than tall.
Correct. The tanks dimensions are 30" long, 18" tall, 12" deep.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Average activity level fish: 3" max. And not too many of them. Smaller is better.
Fish that are highly active, especially horizontal fast swimmers: 2" max (and even that is pushing it)
Sedentary fish: 4-5", but remember the bioload goes up with the CUBE of the length. One 4" fish produces EIGHT TIMES the waste of a 2" fish.

These are rough guides, but I sure would not put larger fish than this in my 29 gallons.

Fish ideas:
Pearl Gouramis- slow moving, territorial- only get one
Angels- a breeding pair and NOTHING else.
Carnivorous bottom cats- Banjos and others- Some are more social, and are OK with friends, but the bio load of carnivores is higher than herbivores. Will eat smaller fish.
Algae eaters such as Loricariads- Well, they produce a large volume of waste, but it is mostly plant material, not as high in nitrogen as carnivores. Just unsightly. Many of these are high oxygen fish, so need plenty of water movement.
Fast swimmers like the mid sized and larger Rainbows are a bad choice (even though some are only a little over 2") because they are highly active. If you want fast movement stick with the smaller species such as Zebra Danios.
Chubby little fish like Upside Down Cats, Cories, Ruby Barbs and similar fish are probably a better choice. Most of these are slower moving.
Kuhlie Loaches are small enough that their high activity level is OK in that tank. Most of the other loaches are chunkier, and demand high oxygen, so only the smaller ones would be good. Sids, Zebras.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode