So no reef tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
So no reef tank...

OK, too much work. Reef tanks are a pain and expensive so why not FW planted tank? That should be easy and beautiful. You got to be kidding me!

Exotic plants with a name a mile long are arriving and most don't grow.
Now I got to have CO2 and a more hardware with dials valves counters switches that get red hot.
I got strange forms of algae growing I never seen before.
No body knows what a Siamese Algae Eater is but I need 12 or my tank will be covered with green hairy mess .
Oh the smell of rotten aponogeton bulbs.
Bulbs sent from Florida to West Coast and back to me in Miami.
Carpet plants that nobody can grow.
I have a light now that is brighter than the North Star.
I must be crazy.
Can't wait to buy a yellow tang someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
This is much easier/cost efficient vs reef-keeping. Keep at it, don't give up.

Raise the light.
Use diy co2 if tanks not too big.
Don't ship/buy bulbs IMHO, get some easy stems & do some homework about plants before buying/shipping.
Siamese algae eaters? Tune in lighting, ferts, co2. Plant mass + this = less algae (that is waaaaaay less weird than marine algaes).
Everyone can grow carpets, some have more requirements than others, see homework above^^^
Yes, you are probably crazy, join the club, we have cookies.
Tangs in my experience are famous for marine ich, & require lots of space, good luck with that if you keep (expensive!) corals.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've never used CO2, it's not necessary for a healthy, beautiful tank. I have very rarely had algae outbreaks - you can decrease the amount of light or duration of lighting. You could also just add more plants.

I've never had a carpet, nor really wanted one. It's a personal thing. You don't "need" one.

If you buy plants online - do your homework. When I 1st started, I bought downoi without intending to use CO2. That was stupid. If you don't have CO2, don't get plants that require it!

Reef tanks require more light than freshwater planted tanks (yes, I have a reef too). Reefs have their own little quirks. I'd say they just about even out!

There's so many different ways to have a freshwater planted tank - for me, I have lots of light, lots of plants, no CO2, lots of filtration. You could amp it up and get high-tech, add lights and CO2, or go with even lower lighting and very easy to keep plants. It's as hard as you want to make it. My 55 and 13.3 gallon planted tanks are a piece of cake to maintain....it can be very simple!

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Is this a poem?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I agree with what "if fishes were wishes" said. My tank is a low tech jungle. No co2, no added ferts, very low lighting - yet it's full of plants and has no algae. Just remember - it's YOUR tank - make it what you want. If you don't want all that fuss then JUST SAY NO!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
OP, I feel your pain!!! I am there myself.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
A Haiku by TexasCichlid

"Help"

Quote:
Light too bright

The algae won't stop

Fix my CO2

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LOL @TexasCichlid
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well today I knocked a hole in my cement block wall to hide my artery of lines such as water, electric and air. My wife took one look at this and ran into the house to see if I had perforated the shower and bathroom tile. Got a laugh out of that. I don't have a box under tank, pedestal style, all exposed so moved all the stuff around the corner. This is turning into a project of epic proportions.
All my plants are in holding tanks and tubs being fueled by the sun. No CO2 on these. My friend air bag is my mentor. He is helping me so much through this challenge. He knows I am about ready to lose it so tries to help as much as possible.
The exotic greens that I can't grow I take to him with his state of the art set up and they grow like weeds. Truley amazing to see how well this will work someday.
Oh yellow tang
if I only had bought you
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks like someone dove headfirst into the pool before knowing how deep it was. You have to find the right balance with light, co2 and fertilizers. Jumping in with full blown high light and such will cause headaches. You should start off slow with lower light and lower amounts of co2 and fertilizers and ramp it up from there so you can judge the amount of input you need to have a nicely planted tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode