diy background help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
diy background help

So I'm having a problem finding a background for my new tank. It's a 26 gal bowfront so all of the petsmart/Petco backgrounds won't fit. Now I'm looking into some DIY backgrounds. I was wo.dering if anyone could share what they use as a background. Also I would prefer not to paint the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've heard of people using black contact paper, but I personally have not been able to find it anywhere in plain black. If you're worried about the paint sticking, latex paints peel off like a glove...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
i heard some people raving about "pasti dip"
it is still essentially paint, so if your not into that you could always do some vinyl or something...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Read my 125G reef thread. I am building a foam / coral / cement background for my reef tank. There are also many videos on youtube on the subject. A little research would go a long way.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off...ld-131766.html
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Look in fabric stores. I found a black background with scattered fern leaves. Looks nice, subtle background, better than all those pictures that take over the tank. I also found a mixed blue marbled fabric, and the same pattern in green. Both of these are also subtle enough to work as backgrounds, generally deep enough colors with just a enough lighter colors to make it not look like all one color.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Diana I love the fabric background idea! I never would have thought to use fabric. How do you attach it to the back of the tank?

Hingedthinker I never even thought of building a 3d background for the tank. My bf had built one for his newt tank and labored over it for a month. In the end he hated the way it eventually looked and took it out. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to set this tank up and I'm not sure if a 3d background would fit. But i love the way you had started yourself do you have any updated pics of it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I agree with the 3D background idea, they look awesome and they're pretty cheap to make. I'll be starting on one for a gecko tank this weekend.

Semper Fi
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
i have made a couple in the past out of pink insulation board.

carved with a steak knives only

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
My latest backdrop is a clear plastic drop sheet from the dollar store. It stretched tight and would be completely wrinkle free if I had worked at it longer. Packing tape does a good job sticking it down. It is meant to be like frosted glass stuff and just obscure the wall behind. It also reduces the sharp contrast between the shadow and light on the wall.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
Thick cardboard would work; I have a light blue color on my Betta tank and was thinking of doing black for my 40. But I also had the idea of making a background in an image editing program (like Photoshop)....maybe some blues melting into browns. I'd have to laminate the sheets and then attach them together, not sure how it would look but it was just an idea I thought I'd share. I also thought of using fabric as Diana mentioned; I have some fabric wrapped around the bottom of the tank's stand as it's open and looks horrid with the canister and all the supplies under there so I attached a cloth around the stand with some Velcro; figured the same idea could be used behind the tank as well but I haven't done it yet.

`.`..`.><(((>
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tape does not stick well to fabric, but I used electrical tape and lots of it. Since the rims on most of my tanks are black it does not show at all. Just be really careful to stick it to the full length of the fabric.
Sticky Velcro would probably have been better. Sew the Velcro to the fabric (even though it is sticky Velcro) and stick it to the corners of the tank frame.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Wow Chad thats amazing carving work there!!

Diana, that would be a great way for fabric, you could even change them out often for holidays and what nots with the velcro idea. ^^

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Chad that is awesome! How long did it take you to do that?

Pinkrasbora I like your holiday idea. Thats pretty cute
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
thanks Pink and baby

It took me a LONG time. That one was the first that i had ever attempted. I would carve a little and walk away. Come back, stare at it, then carve a bit more......i did that for a few months for that one.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
I wouldnt have the patience to carve and walk away. Would be one of those, sit down and not move till done !!

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode