Definitions needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Definitions needed

Hey all,

For clarification and ease of understanding, I was wondering if we could loosely define what we mean by low/medium/hi tech.

Or if there's already a thread, could someone point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I am not sure if there is another thread based on your question but from my knowledge I can possibly tell you what each is.

Low Tech - Basically a low tech aqaurium is what it sounds, "Low Tech". Not very much working with it, like no ferts, no C02, low lighting, etc ... In low tech aquariums, the plants are usually slow growing plance (anubias).

Medium Tech - I haven't heard of this before, but I assume its basically caring for the tank a bit more than you would to a low tech aquarium. Possibly have better lighting or some sort.

High Tech - High tech is also what it sounds like, "High Tech". This includes the combinations of slow, medium, fast growing plants or what ever people prefer. High tech aquariums could possibly have ferts, pressurized C02, good lighting and much more care.

I hope that helps, again its from my knowledge. Someone could elaborate more if I have not.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

That's kind of what I thought, but recent topics have been mentioning EI, CO2 or light enhancements with low tech.

My unerstanding of it is like:

*Low Tech* = Original "kit" bought in the store. No fertz regime except for fish poop, no CO2, basically, plop a bunch of plants in and let nature take over.

*Hi Tech* = Goes into EI, Greg Watson Fertz, ODNO, Lotalotsa light.

*Medium Tech* = Basically, a transition or stepping stone between low tech and hi tech. The tank is using CO2, mostly DIY CO2, and enough light to warrant fertilization.

I'm going with this: Low tech means the tank is self-regulating with little to no human involvement. Hi tech means a concentrated effort to produce fast/ lush growth with specialized equipment. Medium tech is between the two.

What do you guys think?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
IMO

Low tech, easy to care for but leaves you wanting more

High tech, I have all the bells and whistles and can barly keep up with the pruneing

Medium tech, I want a nice looking tank that I dont have to prune every 3 days

Ironically I think the Medium tech is the hardest to achieave, I started low tech and upgraded each item till I found my self in the High tech catagory. . . .However I am not tired of pruneing . . .yet
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 PM
pma
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Medium tech, I want a nice looking tank that I dont have to prune every 3 days
and also the one so out of balance that it is perpetually infested with algae? LOL
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:57 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think the issue is that we use the language for 2 different concepts as if it were interchangeable-- low/high tech vs. low/high light. While high light tanks almost have to be high tech to succeed, low/medium light tanks can go either way.

Low light: under 2 wpg (note: standard issue lights are too low for this)
Medium light: 2-3 wpg
High light: over 3 wpg

Low tech: the "natural" system, low ferts, no co2 (or DIY at most), buckets, tend to be low to medium light
Moderate tech: tend to be low to medium light, co2 (usually DIY, but could be simple pressurized), more active management of ferts, possibly a python for water changes
Extreme high tech: more pics of what's under the tank than what's in it, usually high light, pressurized co2 (the fancy kind), co2 and ferts kept at high levels to force growth (makes me think of plants on steroids plant growth is lush and rapid, but not exactly natural looking), if you want to get really crazy you can include automatic water changers, automatic feeders, and automatic anything else you can think of.

I'll even go out on a limb and say high tech tanks focus primarily on the plants, where lower tech tanks tend more toward an integration of fish, hardscape, and plants as a living picture.

Please note, I am not knocking high tech tanks. They are in-your-face gorgeous and nobody can see one without going "wow--I want that!" But they take a lot of maintenance. Low/moderate tech/light tanks take less work and are a little more forgiving. Granted, they won't turn as many heads, but they can still be beautiful. Gee--that sounds just like women.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I consider my tanks medium-tech. Definitely doesn't depend on the use of a python or not

Light about 2-2.5 Watts per gallon. CO2 yes but not 30 ppm. Fertilizers yes but not every (other) day, and not to the max spoonfuls. Just enough to keep them from running out. I still do weekly 40% water changes, but could go to every other week on that.

Couple of things that I like about it: With the moderate wattage, the electricity meter spins a little slower. Also, heat emitted by the light fixture is less of an issue. Growth is slower, and if you skip fertilizers for a week (vacation etc) things don't go downhill. Like others said, less maintenance, but more interesting than the typical low maintenance tank.

Best of both worlds to me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by observant_imp
I think the issue is that we use the language for 2 different concepts as if it were interchangeable-- low/high tech vs. low/high light. While high light tanks almost have to be high tech to succeed, low/medium light tanks can go either way.

See what I mean? Everyone uses the terms interchangeably, and I don't think it's necessarily a good thing. For example, a tank in full sunlight gets more light than we could possibly emmulate, but we don't add any extra effort to make the plants grow - wouldn't that be low maint?

I think ultimately it's the use of technology and fancy gadgetry that separates the categories. I like your analogy about the pictures
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is CO2 injection high tech and non-CO2 low tech?
Or is DIY CO2 low tech and a pressurized system high tech?
Or is pH-controlled solenoid CO2 pressurized system the only real high tech?
Is MIRO 4 reflectors high tech and white paint on wood low tech?
Is digital timered lights high tech and your finger on the switch low tech?

I don't think "tech terms" are really helpful descriptors in our hobby, for the obvious reasons- nobody really can be sure what they mean. Better just to be specific about what "tech" we are using. My .02...

James
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I say let light be the driver. Lots of light, lots of other stuff needed, lots of maintenance. Medium... low... same principle.

To me there is no high light, low maintenance tank, or vice versa. Can't have 4W/gal going into a tank that almost takes care of itself...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode