Who could live in here? 1 gal tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Who could live in here? 1 gal tank

So, I just moved to Austin, TX from Los Angeles, and I have gone from having four 10 gallon tanks to none. My girlfriend had an old tank, I think it is about one gallon, maybe less. As soon as we moved in, I set it up. It just has a little UGF for filtration and a 4w "nightlight" bulb, or a very little incandescent. I put a few java ferns and an anubis nana in it, but I'm sort of at a loss for what could live in there. Do you think a single betta would do well in there? Or some shrimp? Something else? Give me some ideas. Thanks guys. Here are some pics.

Last edited by Fishumms; 08-22-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
personally i dont recommend keeping betta in anything smaller then a 2.5 gallon. Despite popular belief they need room to swim.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
You could do shrimp but even that's stretching it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe a few shrimp... just maybe.

You'll probably want to look into different lighting options if you do, incandescents put off a lot of heat and it is probably making the water boil.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's kind of what I expected.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Bettas will be fine. Pro breeders keep theirs in much smaller containers for most of their lives.

Would he be happier in something bigger? Sure. But he should still be able to live a long life.

If you do go with a betta, I highly suggest the addition of a Marina C10 heater. It will keep the water temperature from fluctuating and keep in in the prime range for bettas and unlike other "betta heaters", it does have a built in thermostat to shut it off once the water reaches 78F.

You can also do shrimp in that without issue. The biggest concerns will be water temperature changes from the lighting. I'd suggest sticking with Neos.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Red cherry shrimp would probably be okay. They're hardy shrimp so they can withstand the fluctuations of a tiny tank better than most other shrimp.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When I ran that tank with a fairly open lid and CF lighting it was too warm a lot of the time. Only in winter, when the house was not warmer than 68*F would I need a heater, then only at night.
Be very careful about heating that tank!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPipes View Post
Bettas will be fine. Pro breeders keep theirs in much smaller containers for most of their lives.

Would he be happier in something bigger? Sure. But he should still be able to live a long life.

If you do go with a betta, I highly suggest the addition of a Marina C10 heater. It will keep the water temperature from fluctuating and keep in in the prime range for bettas and unlike other "betta heaters", it does have a built in thermostat to shut it off once the water reaches 78F.

You can also do shrimp in that without issue. The biggest concerns will be water temperature changes from the lighting. I'd suggest sticking with Neos.
most pro breeders who keep them in fairly small containers (im thinking barracks and talking american breeders) still have 2 gallons or so of water and very good filtration systems for the fish. Bettas will survive in small tanks but that's not really thriving. Personally I think it is somewhat cruel, kind of like keeping a dog in a small bedroom, it will survive but not be a good thing for it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the advice. I've never had a tank so small so I really had no idea what options existed. What about just a snail of some type? Something interesting but not too large.

The room it's in is underneath the AC so it's usually pretty cold in there, but I don't know what the temp in the water is. I would think it's in the mid 70s. But it might go up and down with the light coming on. I guess it might just become a plant tank.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
You could put a few nerite snails in there - they'll stay small and won't reproduce, and some of then are pretty.

I wouldn't put a betta in there either. It's just too small and the dimensions (tall and skinny) suck as well.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
opae ula

|
|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:57 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I've never had a tank so small so I really had no idea what options existed. What about just a snail of some type? Something interesting but not too large.

The room it's in is underneath the AC so it's usually pretty cold in there, but I don't know what the temp in the water is. I would think it's in the mid 70s. But it might go up and down with the light coming on. I guess it might just become a plant tank.
Hi there ~
Nice placement of the tank , I could do my business and look at the fish
Anyway 1-2 Endlers livebearer could live in there ,
They're very tiny and quite hardy

Cheers
Andy
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shrimp only.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Every flush is exposing a vapor or spray that is setting up a disaster for such a small tank.

Consider a HOB or canister with a UV sterilizer and some peace lilies or philadendron, diffenbachia, zebrina or other wet root loving, aerial leaf plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode