All you EI followers... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
All you EI followers...

Where the heck do you buy 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 teaspoons? I have looked at several stores and you can find down to 1/4 teaspoon really easy....I know that the watson plant store sells really small ones but his kit doesnt include 1/4 and 1/8.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Walmart, got a set 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 tsp. they also have the bigger ones.

Edited: it appears now that those numbers are not quite right, see followup posts below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

Last edited by shalu; 06-22-2005 at 06:39 PM.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Actually I think that the Greg's set is the 1/8, 1/16/, and 1/32 of a teaspoon. I wish Greg would check and make sure as they look to be the same thing that I have that are those measurements.

Check a cooking store. 1/4 should be with every set of measuring spoons and 1/8 is with every decent set of measuring spoons.

But the best thing to do is a get a small gram scale, usually about $20 delivered from EBay and much more precise.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes he is right wally world has the stainless smigden, dash, and pinch which is the same thing. I just can't remember the order.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys, off to wally world I go.

Rex, I am not concerned with weight. Just consistency, plus if i wanted accuracy I would steal my scale from work! That is the beauty of EI method. It is just an estimate!
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
FWIW, I've seen the smallish measuring spoons at Bed, Bath and Beyond also. Likely more expensive than Wallyworld, but in case you need another source.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

The interesting thing with Walmart was, the set price was marked close to $2, but less than $1 at checkout, a pleasant surprise.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Actually I think that the Greg's set is the 1/8, 1/16/, and 1/32 of a teaspoon. I wish Greg would check and make sure as they look to be the same thing that I have that are those measurements.
According to his site, they are 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64 TABLESPOONS.

The quote from his site:
Quote:
Aquatic Measuring Spoons
Do you need to reduce the formula? Here's measuring spoons just the right size: Brushed stainless steel spoons 1/16 tablespoon 1/32 tablespoon 1/64 tablespoon.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Dosages based on atomic weights are the most accurate way to dose. With spoons, the texture and style each person scrapes off the spoons is going to create a lot of variation. Rex is right.

Personally I don't believe in EI. Very small amounts of CaCl2 / MgSO4 greatly affect water hardness. I like my water at 6 dGH. If I just scoop and dump, there's no way this will happen. Since I use a gram scale and take 5 minutes to verify with a test kit, I can quickly adjust my water to hit my desired hardness dead on every time.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
So make liquid dilution + H2O if you honestly feel you need more precision........

I can easily prove you don't...........
Especially with GH............

That's the deal with the precision you have with test kits, they introduce their own set of measurement error. Often quite large unless well calibrated and accurate over a very precise range. Common GH test kits measure to +,- 17-20ppm. Even the best Lamott or Hach can barely hit 4+,-ppm.

I think I can easily hit 1-2ppm + or -.

I can hit that and even closer with a standard liquid dilution.

EI does not mean you have to do dry dosing, the traces seldom suggest that, if ever............

But it's not going to make any difference either way where it really counts, the plant's health.

a GH of 4-8 will make no difference with any plant I know of, that'sa effective target of ~80ppm.

If you cannot estimate that, even with lots of error, you got bigger issue.

PO4 and Traces need more accuracy than other nutrients as rule.
Any others can be 1-2ppm accuracy and easily targeted with a simple 1/4 teaspoon.

You can simply divide the 1/4 into 4 equal parts, this is fairly accurate.

You can check the APD post for 1/4 teaspoon accuracy. I ran 20 replicates, they were very close, to within 7 mg each of 1.67 grams for KNO3.

Certainly nothing that would ever make or break and dosing routine.
We are human and the method EI assumes that.

You add a tad more some days and tad less others, main thing is that the plants are well fed.

No one is all anal about maintaining +, -, 2ppm of Ca++ in a FW plant tank.
You can try to keep it there, but this uneeded stability will falter after a while.

You can run a time limited test, but it's a terrible way to force yourself to keep up on a method.

It gains you lots of work, not better growth.
Careful what you assume to be true. See if you can disprove that.

We used to assume that PO4 excess(or any nutrient in excess) caused algae.
You can disprove this easily.

Likewise, the same was said about high GH, KH, NO3, Fe, ad nauseum.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosty
According to his site, they are 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64 TABLESPOONS.

The quote from his site:

I know what it says on Greg's website. I just have this strange suspicion that the website is incorrect. If anyone has a set of spoons from Greg they can confirm my suspicions or tell me I'm wrong in about 15 seconds. Take the largest spoon in the set. How many of those spoons does it take to make a ľ teaspoon?
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
Well I just ordered a set of ferts from GW, largely at your recommendation, and I ordered a set of spoons. I will let you know what I get when they arrrive.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprroy73
Yes he is right wally world has the stainless smigden, dash, and pinch which is the same thing. I just can't remember the order.
Thatís what I use and itís cheap and easy.
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I know what it says on Greg's website. I just have this strange suspicion that the website is incorrect. If anyone has a set of spoons from Greg they can confirm my suspicions or tell me I'm wrong in about 15 seconds. Take the largest spoon in the set. How many of those spoons does it take to make a ľ teaspoon?
I have recently received the spoons from GW. I'll check tonight and post a follow-up.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:24 PM

there are 16 of the smaller - (level or almost rounded - just like in the pic) GW spoons DASH , or 1/16 tbs - the largest of the 3 spoons) in the 1tbs from ECCO, and they didn't quite fill it to level imo.

I'll try the same thing tomorrow and see how it measures. Sometimes I am more (or less?) of a spaz than others. If I need to be more careful and make sure each is level, let me know.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode