Just a simple question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just a simple question

Im just curious how y'all afford all these cool toys xD im trying to do this on a budget and it just seems harder to do it that way I feel like I actually have a more difficult time trying to have a successful tank than you lucky folks that can get all the high tech fancy gadgets.... needless to say im jealous Hahaha.. but my question is how do you make a "high tech" tank on a budget? Is it even possible? Im just getting more and more frustrated and I need some input here hahaha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

lighting:look into CFL
substrate:soil(messy) or stratum is amazing and isnt that expensive.
co2:diy or paintball
dosing:i used kent's proplant and iron. i've studied the dry ferts before but it was a little complicated to grasp for me.

also depends on how big your tank is.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im setting up a 38 gallon and my only issue with paintball co2 is the fact that it could blow up on me... and im really tired of diy co2 and the fact that im not sure exactly where I could fill up the tank.... any way paintball could be made safer?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

well i have two paintball tanks and they're pretty safe. anything could blow up, even the large pressurize system. i had my fears when i first started using the paintball, but if you're tired of diy and isnt looking to shell out a few hundred bucks paintball is my only other advice. when you want to venture into the high tech aquariums, the cost dramatically increases unless you build everything on your own. im too blonde for that lol. OR you could do a moss only tank. the results are stunning when done correctly and they require less maintenance.

the setup for the paintball canisters are pretty scary, i didnt realize how easy it was until i had assembled mine. all the materials i found locally and was prolly about $90. and if i can do it you can too, trust me. im the guy that's afraid of blowing a balloon or opening a soda can in fear of it blowing up =D
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh totally forgot, you can fill up the tank at some sporting goods store, just call them up and ask before heading there. and just dont leave the tank in heat when it's filled up. if it does blow up, find a layer and if you win...im your bestfriend right?...RIGHT!?!?!?!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

haha xD thank you now my only problem is finding out how to build one i have a list of part i just need to find the right ASA where did you find your? ive had trouble finding one (which is kinda why i gave up the first time) hahaha
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would recommend checking out micromatic regulators if you are on a budget. They are much safer than using an ASA valve on a paintball tank. You can pick up a low end micromatic regulator for between $40 to $50. You will need an adapter to go from the regulator to the paintball tank. With an ASA paintball setup you are working with dangerously high pressure; I know because I have used them and do not recommend them. I cracked a tank trying to adjust the output on one of those because I opened the needle valve a hair too much and it blasted the diffuser right off the tubing and into the side of the tank cracking the glass. Accidents like these do not make it worth trying to get things done on the cheap especially when working with an unregulated pressure of 800 psi.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i got my asa valve at a paintball store. you can also try ebay

@slavecorps: sorry to hear, i tested mine out in the sink before i even got it near the tank. I got a wrench and tapped it slightly til i got 1bps. after letting it sit and stabilizing for about an hour, i placed it in the aquarium, and since then, no prob.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Algae Grower

All the budget-friendly, low-price stuff you want to know about can be found in the Low Tech section of The Planted Tank: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=100

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode