Getting ready to place an order for equipment, am I missing anything? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting ready to place an order for equipment, am I missing anything?

I am gathering up equipment for a 20g long planted, low light/low tech tank. I am placing a big order and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Already have- tank, Aquaclear 50, jager heater, neptune jr aquarium controller, ranco temp controller, buckets, nets, lots of misc fish stuff.

My order list is-

2 bags of eco-complete
glass lids
Seachem Prime
Life-glo T8 bulb
Single tube T8 light fixture
API master FW test kit
roll of bulk filter floss
new ph probe
ph probe calibration fluid
Seachem Flourish Tabs
Seachem Flourish 250mL bottle
Reagent grade ammonium chloride for cycling

Anyone have any other suggestions? Seems like I always forget something until right after I place the order.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Id go for 3 bags of eco, a t5NO fixture, and skip the flourish unless you don't mind paying for them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi detroit fan,

I agree 3 bags of substrate. The 20L is only 12" high with 2" substrate you are 10" from top to substrate. With a T5NO bulb you will be at 'low/medium light' according to Hoppy's chart.

Actually I think that Seachem Flourish Comprehensive with Flourish tabs for root feeders is an excellent choice. Complete, balanced, and easy to use was what I wanted when I started and the ones you chose are what I used when I started planted tanks with the following result.

45 gallon using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 08-04-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Skip the pH controller and calibration fluid unless you're using pressurized CO2.

You might want to add a water changer to the list if you don't already have one.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
skip the roll of bulk filter floss and head to walmart for the same thing and save $
he want low light not med light, t5no will throw med light for them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Similar comment about the ammonia. Look in local stores like 'Dollar Tree' types of stores, and Ace hardware. Reagent grade is not needed.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
Id go for 3 bags of eco, a t5NO fixture, and skip the flourish unless you don't mind paying for them.
Ok, I'll get 3 bags. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi detroit fan,

I agree 3 bags of substrate. The 20L is only 12" high with 2" substrate you are 10" from top to substrate. With a T5NO bulb you will be at 'low/medium light' according to Hoppy's chart.

Actually I think that Seachem Flourish Comprehensive with Flourish tabs for root feeders is an excellent choice. Complete, balanced, and easy to use was what I wanted when I started and the ones you chose are what I used when I started planted tanks with the following result.

45 gallon using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive
thanks for the advice, your tank looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Skip the pH controller and calibration fluid unless you're using pressurized CO2.

You might want to add a water changer to the list if you don't already have one.
The aquarium controller that i have already has a built in ph monitor, I just like to use it so I can see a digital ph readout anytime. I'll look at some water changers, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
skip the roll of bulk filter floss and head to walmart for the same thing and save $
he want low light not med light, t5no will throw med light for them.
the bulk pad is only about $4, is it even cheaper at walmart? i might just use 2 Aquaclear sponges and skip the floss.

I have thought about T5NO, I've used T5HO for years on my saltwater set ups, but I figured with only about 10" of depth after I add the substrate the T8 shoudl be enough. I guess I could always add another T8 bulb if it's not quite enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Similar comment about the ammonia. Look in local stores like 'Dollar Tree' types of stores, and Ace hardware. Reagent grade is not needed.
ok. the bottle I was going to order was $2.99, I thought that was pretty decent but if I can get it cheaper locally I will.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode