Moving w/ 29G - here's my plan - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving w/ 29G - here's my plan

This weekend I will be moving from my apartment on the 2nd floor to the next building over (50 ft away), to the 2nd floor. I plan to drain my 29 and remove the fish, decorations, and plants. However, I do plan to leave the gravel in. I will scoot the tank off its stand (with another person) onto a "stretcher" (piece of 1.5" plywood). Then the tank will be walked downstairs (kept level) and over next door to the new bldg. Then I plan to put about 10 gals of old water in and then filler up and put the wildlife back in. I'm open to any suggestions/comments/tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sounds pretty good. Just a word of warning though. no matter how hard you try your tank will not be carried level. It can be pretty close to level but umm ya .. you get the pic. I would want to find some way to secure it to the wood, just in case it slips off. I would be worried about bending and all that too but its just a 29 gal. Its not huge so the risk isint that big. I would also try and save as much water as possible. When i moved my second hand 100gal tank i saved about 20-30 percent of the water, and i saved the water in the canister as well. nothing was washed so that the shock wont be as bad and there wouldnt be another cycle.
good luck, I hope everything works out. Keep us updated.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
You have to keep all of the filter media moist in the old tank water. I would't be worried about keeping the old water. When I moved a 20 gallon. I just kept the filter meida in a bucket of old water and filled the tank with completly new. No problems at all. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Personally, I would remove everything. If you or a friend has a nice big cooler (perferably with wheels) I would pour at least half the water in there along with all the gravel. Bag all your fish or use tank water in another cooler. Then carry the tank over. I'd hate for any instability to lead to a crack!

Re-boot!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reminders to keep the filter media wet, etc. My thinking/reasoning on leaving the gravel in is this: My dad and I have moved way more cantankerous things in the past so this seems like a total breeze. And if by some chance it dad crack, its just a 29 gallon tank and will cost less than $50 to replace. To me I'd rather take the small chance of possibly paying 50 bucks over the trouble of removing the gravel and putting it back in. What is the err of my thinking?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, on the water. I have probably 15 big coolers, but I think keeping just 10 gallons / ~30% of it will be fine. I have never had this tank (or any) get an algae outbreak for more than a day or two and I've never had any kind of cycle/spiking (on this tank). Something in the water around here I think! I just keep it heavily planted and all seems to work out fine. I will def keep the filter media wet however.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have moved my 29 gallon 5 times, I never removed the gravel. I think you will be fine, just be sure you trust whomever is helping you carry the tank, hehe.

If your fish are used to having regular water changes, saving 30% or so of the water should be no problem.

Good luck with the move, at least it isn't far (all of my moves were 100+ miles)!

Tina
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I've done what your doing before, and trust me, its not as easy as it seems. I *tried* so hard to keep from upsetting the substrate, but its pretty much inevitable. You can carry it level, but the water will still swish around(depending on how much you leave in) just from the movement, which will upset the gravel/sand. I currently have a 20g that I'll be moving about 30 miles away from an apartment to....yay! new house. This will be interesting. I don't want to yank it all apart, but we'll see. Good luck to you.
-Ryan

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
...You can carry it level, but the water will still swish around(depending on how much you leave in) just from the movement, which will upset the gravel/sand.
The trick is to dig a pit into the gravel, or slide some of it away from the corner so you can get your siphon tube to the very bottom of the tank. If you can tilt it slightly while emptying even better (since it's a small tank). When you get to the bottom it's better to have a straight siphon hose rather than a Python-type gravel washer end (too easy to break the siphon with these).

Doing this I've been able to get all but the last 1/4" of water out of a tank...even on a cracked 125g tank that I needed to tear down and replace over the course of four hours!

óBill

|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:48 AM

you should try a 160 gallon!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:57 PM

heave ho

That gravel will still be heavy, even if you drain all the water. Were you not going upstairs, it'd probably be OK, but with the trip up stairs, I think you are adding unnecessary risk. What are you trying to avoid? Uprooting plants? If the gravel shifts or the tank falls you will do more than uproot the plants!

I suggest draining the water as suggested by running a hose all the way to the bottom glass pane. Then scoop pull the plants out to a bucket of tank water. Scoop out all of the gravel to another bucket.

The filter does not need to be submerged in water, just kept wet, so just put it dripping wet into a bag and seal it, it won't dry out and it will have lots of Oxygen that will be missing in a bucket of water.

Another bucket for the fish if you didn't put them in with the plants, they will be happy with the plants if there is room. A cheap styrofoam ice chest is great for fish and plants. No need for more tank water than is in the fish bucket.

Now, with it all broken down you have the luxury of time to set it all up correctly (level, scaped well, all cords and extensions run the right way). Add an airstone and heater to the fish bucket, and some Prime or Amquell, and dont feed them for 2 days before the move. They will be fine for many hours.

This way, you are not risking all the gravel and plants suddenly shifting to one side and stressing the glass enough to crack. Then, while a tank might be cheap, it is a problem to run off and find at a moments notice. Better to just take the safe route, unless you just like Drama.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, whew, got it all moved over the weekend. I stuck to my original plan and left the gravel in and most of the plants. Put the tank on a piece of plywood and my brother and I carried it down the stairs. I wouldnt do it (up and down stairs) on anything bigger than a 29 though, and we are are fairly muscled guys. It was a tad heavier than I expected it to be, but not much. Figured I'd post up what I ended up doing and how so when somoene comes along searching later it may help. The person on the bottom when going down the stairs just has to hold the tank up fairly high and the person on top has to bend over to keep it all level. Otherwise it was a cinch. Now, the washer jumping off the dolly half way up the stairs.....that's a whole other story!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode