Zen Rock Garden Goldfish Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Zen Rock Garden Goldfish Tank

Hey guys, I had another account on here but i realized I had a pretty stupid typo in the name (lovlelychaotic) so here I am again.

Back in February I started my 20 gallon tank with two goldies. I acknowledged that they would need a bigger tank and by July I lucked into a 55 gallon tank and a Marineland Penguin 350 for about 44 dollars. Now my goldies get to go into their permanent home! For now, the tank is filtering through with some microsword, comet feeders, and bamboo.

What I need to know is what can I do to keep the plants healthy? The water gets a weekly dose of Kent Manganese and Iron and other assorted vitamins or minerals, along with a dormant bacteria to reduce ammonia and prevent new tank shock. I don't have a good substrate or the means to get a good substrate, at least not for a while. My microsword has already started branching out in thin lines. It was doing well in the 20. But now that it has started growing more, how do I help it start carpeting? Also how do I keep it separated from the rock garden portion?

I also wanted to make a small wooden like fence to go around the rock garden. Does anyone know of a way to cure popsicle stick type wood for water use? Or of where to get a small decoration fence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Everyone look nobody reply... That defeats the purpose of a forum |:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i had a hard time imagining the tank, could you post a photo? and for the wooden "fence" i've used a bridge ornament turned sideways to hold up the soil like a fence before

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

also most carpetting plants requires a nutrient rich substrate from my experience, if you're afraid of it dying, maybe look into doing a dry start with the plants until you can get a better substrate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Put fertilizer tablets in the substrate, bury them deep so there is the least fertilizer getting up into the water.

Bacterial additives like you are using are a waste of money. The right bacteria grow forever in the right conditions and do not have to be supplemented at every water change. When you know there will be a problem with the bacteria (for example, when you are setting up a new tank) look for Nirtospiros species of bacteria. Those are the actual nitrifying bacteria that maintain the nitrogen cycle. All other 'cycle in a bottle' products are a waste of money. You only need to use Nitrospira once.
New tank.
Adding new fish to an established tank.
After medications (or something else) that might have compromised the bacteria.

Instead of a formal fence, how about laying a piece of driftwood between the rocks and the plants? More natural looking.
No, there is not a way to make Popsicle sticks stay intact under water. They are so thin that they will rot pretty fast even if you try to coat them with anything.

Tags
decoration, goldfish, new tank, plant health, upkeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode