Snail eggs.... right? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail eggs.... right?

They been on the BJ and a few other plants for about two weeks now... I'm guessing they are eggs of the snails... what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

Having "raised" tons of snails, I can't tell you how much I hate those clear gelatinous clumps of snail progeny.

(Okay, some snails are good. I've never had the pleasure and joy of rearing "good" snails.)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

What types of snails you got in your tank?

Or have you never had snails until you recently added something new to the tank?

All it takes is two snails to explode into hundreds. Snails are hermaphroditic--both sexes in each animal. People think bunnies multiply? They never "raised" snails before.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got them once on a plant a long time ago and they are not tooo bad..... I never asked anyone about them so I don't know what I have. But the really small! But I feel like they are too small for that jello

Last edited by viwwo; 08-03-2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: pic
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

Can you say "ewww!"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by viwwo View Post
But I feel like they are too small for that jello
That jello can be bigger than the snails themselves. Especially when three/four/.../dozen or so snails all get together in an orgy-fest of procreation.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
pond snail. You can just use your fingers and smash all the little egg sacks if you don't want them to overpopulate the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Pond snails are a must-have for me, they act as a clean-up crew and DRAMATICALLY help in keeping algae off the glass...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubels View Post
pond snail. You can just use your fingers and smash all the little egg sacks if you don't want them to overpopulate the tank.
So a form of abortion... I can do that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceGrover View Post
Pond snails are a must-have for me, they act as a clean-up crew and DRAMATICALLY help in keeping algae off the glass...
Yeah I do want some. I only had then for about three months now and they work out for me. I guess the question is now: How big do they get?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The largest pond snail I have seen was about 1/2" diameter. Most are smaller, between 1/4" and 1/2". I would not be surprised if they got a bit larger, but not much.

Snails live on the fallen food the fish are not eating, or algae, or other things.
The algae and other things can be minimized, and the fallen food can be reduced to almost nothing. Taking these measures will reduce the reproduction of the snails so you pretty much only find the adults with almost no babies.

Some fish eat snails. If you like these fish, and the tank is well suited to them you might think about getting some.
Most Loaches such as Yoyos, Clowns and Kubotai eat snails. They are social, and grow too large for smaller tanks. Yoyos are more aggressive, and are active predators, too. They can eat fish the size of Neon Tetras. Many Loaches dig, and Yoyos are large enough and willing to dig up plants. Clowns and Kubotai seem not so interested in digging, though they are certainly large enough to do serious damage to a planted tank.
Kuhlie Loaches might help a bit. They have small mouths and cannot eat a snail that has hardened its shell, but baby snails with really thin shells can be eaten. Kuhlies also are social fish, but a quite compatible with most of the small fish we often keep in planted tanks. They dig, but are so small they are more likely helping by opening channels for the water to enter the substrate.
Loaches like Hillstreams are not snail predators.

Many Cichlids will eat snails.

Some other fish can be trained to eat them. Squish a snail against the glass and let the fish eat it. Some fish figure out how to eat snails, once they know there is food.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode