DIY Moss Tree Idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
DIY Moss Tree Idea

I have been searching near and far for a way to create the perfect moss tree.

1. I have posted this forum looking for a place to get the perfect piece of wood. Not much luck...

2. I've looked on ebay for a piece of wood and had some luck but nothing reasonably priced.

3. This website is probably the most promising lead I currently have: http://www.manzanita.com/index.htm
but still you never know what your gunna get while ordering online...

I am having the hardest time figuring out a way to create the perfect moss tree...

I am looking for something that looks similar to this piece here:

Attachment 51784

Then.. IT HIT ME... I suddenly had a great idea!

Even though I am probably over thinking this whole moss tree thing, I want it to look perfect and I need your input on my idea.

What if I mounted a circular flat rock about 1" thick and 6" wide on top of drift wood (2" thick) that looks like a tree trunk. Then hair net my moss (Ricca) to the rock.

Of course I will need to create a base to support all the upper weight, but I just wanted to see what others thought about this idea.

I have not seen this done anywhere on the internet and I wonder if it would look right. I have seen the Ricca hairnet-ed to circular rocks sitting on substrate and it looks perfect so why wouldn't this work?

Thank for your input and if you have any other ideas please... I insist.

Last edited by tylergvolk; 11-28-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I guess it depends how far you want to go with the tree looking "natural". Since in nature, most normal trees have "pads" or "layers" of foliage. http://www.bonsaimary.com/images/Fic...FirstPlace.jpg
Leaves don't naturally grow in one thick oval clump at the top of a trunk.

It will look fake from an artist's perspective, but it still depends on how far you want to go for the "natural" look!

And... I have no idea on how to achieve that look in an aquarium if you can't find the perfect driftwood shape with the branches and all, LOL; but from a designer's standpoint, have you looked into bonsai? That art is all about scaling down full size trees into mini, while keeping full size tree proportions.

Maybe this can inspire some new ideas? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ood_bonsai.JPG

Last edited by caykuu; 08-01-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: added link
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Doesn't have to be a rock, even wadded up widow screen (not metal) with a few stitches to hold it in shape would work and not be so heavy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am very surprised at the lack of information on the interest regarding this topic.

I appropriate both you inputs. I'm not really shooting for a natural look per say. I'm looking for more a clean cut perfect type look. I like the screen idea and might look into that. I'm guessing you mean some type of plastic screen correct? Where can I get something like that for cheap/free?

I wonder how well the moss/Ricca would grow on something like that...

Time to do some more research!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes, fiberglass window screen was my thought, sold by the foot at home depot type stores. Wad into a flat oblong, stitch fishing line through the wad to hold the shape. Will be lightweight, lots of surface for the moss to hold. Would be a slightly random shape to, not a perfect dome like an upside down small wicker basket (which would also work)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to bucilini
I saw a buy zip tie a few branches to a piece of driftwood. Maybe you can try something like that. You can shave some pieces of your existing drift wood and make something work. I'd probably try to drill and super glue a few pieces in there to make it look more real. http://www .aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/68870-zip-tie-moss-tree. html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode