Leak in my shrimp tank! EDIT: NEED YOUR DETECTIVE SKILLS!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Leak in my shrimp tank! EDIT: NEED YOUR DETECTIVE SKILLS!!!

So, I'm on vacation, and I get a phone call from my fantastic neighbor who graciously cares for my aquariums, wabi kusa, and bonsai trees while I am gone, and she tells my my shrimp tank, holding $300-$500 worth of CRS and CBS, is half empty. I quickly guided her through the process of setting up a video call so I could see in real-time what exactly was going on.

My tank is literally half empty, with the filter out of the water, running dry. I had her place it sideways back into the tank so it's operational at the moment. Without even asking, she had already marked the water level with an Expo marker to determine the rate of the leak -- hasn't changed so far.

Finally, I've had her completely dry up the bureau around the tank, and put pieces of shredded paper all around it so we can pinpoint the directionality of the leak.

Is there anything else I should have her do? I will be cutting my trip one day short so I can get home ASAP, in two days. Any advice is helpful.

Hagen corp. is not going to hear the end of this if I lose my shrimp. I would advise all Fluval Ebi owners to carefully inspect your tank's silicone job, especially at the top corners in the back. I have had my tank for one year and seven months.

Last edited by Geniusdudekiran; 08-03-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Changed title to add "need your detective skills"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow I'm sorry that is a nightmare. I was kinda wanting an Ebi. Keep us posted.

Is that your only planted tank with suitable parameters? If it were me I would have her move the shrimp into my peaceful community tank.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Pretty much. I could have her put them in my ADA tank, but it likely kill most of them going from a no-ferts low tech tank to an insanely high-fert CO2 tank. Also a lot of them are extremely small, and although she says she can see them all with her glasses... I kind of doubt it . And there's at least 75, maybe 100 in there......

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Step 1, take a deep breath. Think of things in terms of opportunity! Look at that fancy new aquarium you get to buy now!

We're sure it leaked from a silicone seal? What kind of filter did you have? What kind of stand di you have it on?

Your neighbor was very helpful! They deserve something nice and shiny.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
i doubt anyone including you would be able to net all the shrimp in there without causing harm or getting flustered. i know i wouldnt. Drop an airstone on an airline (ideally with check valve) into the tank to get it both oxygenated and water moving. stagnant water will foul in a few hours so i would do this as a minimum.

not sure by your post whether the filter (not sure if its HOB of canister) or the tank itself was leaking... but if its holding water where it is, i'd leave it alone and clean up the water in the vicinity as a priority, then do the airstone thingy

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
if she is willing - cheap storage bin at WalMart, put tank (ebi is 8 gal right? Half full would be like 30 lbs) fill tank, also fill tub to just below tank level. (does your water need de-Chlor?)

Might be a bit much for her, but would save your too

+1 on the airstone, and a wal mart bin is like $10

Last edited by jbrady33; 07-31-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: info
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Step 1, take a deep breath. Think of things in terms of opportunity! Look at that fancy new aquarium you get to buy now!

We're sure it leaked from a silicone seal? What kind of filter did you have? What kind of stand di you have it on?

Your neighbor was very helpful! They deserve something nice and shiny.
Yep, this one's totally shot now...

I believe it was a combination of my filter and a silicone leak. See, what appears to have happened is that a leak in the upper back portion of the tank caused the water level to drop, and then from there the in-tank stock Ebi filter shot out a ton of water over the rim of the tank. However the water level was below the filter, so the leak was/is definitely below the filter. Guessing that the filter just accelerated the leaking.

It's on my bureau, which is also probably destroyed now... Lol.

Yes, she certainly does. Usually I get her something from wherever I go, but she deserves something bigger this time, lol. Perhaps a bonsai of her own considering how much she seems to love taking care of mine.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
i doubt anyone including you would be able to net all the shrimp in there without causing harm or getting flustered. i know i wouldnt. Drop an airstone on an airline (ideally with check valve) into the tank to get it both oxygenated and water moving. stagnant water will foul in a few hours so i would do this as a minimum.

not sure by your post whether the filter (not sure if its HOB of canister) or the tank itself was leaking... but if its holding water where it is, i'd leave it alone and clean up the water in the vicinity as a priority, then do the airstone thingy
Agreed. The filter is the stock Ebi filter, one of those in-tank ones with a spray bar. There is plenty of oxygenation as I had her position it such that the spray bar is above the water spraying down into it (within reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
if she is willing - cheap storage bin at WalMart, put tank (ebi is 8 gal right? Half full would be like 30 lbs) fill tank, also fill tub to just below tank level. (does your water need de-Chlor?)

Might be a bit much for her, but would save your too

+1 on the airstone, and a wal mart bin is like $10
She's very devoted, I'm sure she would -- hopefully, however, the leak is above the water level. Adding more water my increase the pressure exerted upon the tank walls, and God forbid, the tank literally falling apart

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
If the leak is part of the silicone on the back of the tank and not on the bottom, have her get the duct tape out and go to town.

I've used it to temporarily hold things in 20gal tanks with pretty good outcomes.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Just received the 1.5 hour all-clear call. None of the shredded paper around the tank is wet, and the water level has not dropped at all.

Jake -- I've also got a tube of GE 100% silicone in my drawer; I always leave it there for situations such as these.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Was the spray bar under the water line pointing up?

If the tank evaporated below the spray bar level them it will shoot the water out of the tank. Makes sense?

Maybe there was no silicone failure but just too much water evaporated.

However, I'm glad to hear is under control.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow, I hope everything turns out okay. I have that tank, and I couldn't imagine anything like that happening. The spray bar on the stock filter is notorious for spraying water everywhere sadly. My mail got ruined when I set it too close one night. Good luck.

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Was the spray bar under the water line pointing up?

If the tank evaporated below the spray bar level them it will shoot the water out of the tank. Makes sense?

Maybe there was no silicone failure but just too much water evaporated.

However, I'm glad to hear is under control.
Yes, it was. I considered that carefull, however it's impossible -- the water level was 3-4 inches below the bottom of the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmia22 View Post
Wow, I hope everything turns out okay. I have that tank, and I couldn't imagine anything like that happening. The spray bar on the stock filter is notorious for spraying water everywhere sadly. My mail got ruined when I set it too close one night. Good luck.
I've not had any problems with it, save for the background popping off, and... now this.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Wow! You gotta get that company's bootie man! That is their fault!

I made my own tank and it's been more than 8yrs!!

Anyhow, looking at the positive side of it... What's next? An Ada or a 20 long or what?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Wow! You gotta get that company's bootie man! That is their fault!

I made my own tank and it's been more than 8yrs!!

Anyhow, looking at the positive side of it... What's next? An Ada or a 20 long or what?
Yes, Hagen Corp. will be hearing from me. A tank is not something designed to last 1.5 years. I take perfect care of my tanks. This is the manufacturer's flaw.

Well, I may try and get a replacement, I doubt they will refund. Then I will sell some of the shrimp (I prolly should have done that before I left...). A 20 long is too big, but a 12 gallon Mr. Aqua will work.

I'll just have to play it by ear.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode