Fairly new to planted tanks. Couple questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fairly new to planted tanks. Couple questions.

Hello everyone, have a few questions in regards to planted tanks but first a little background. I have become addicted to fish keeping over the past couple years mainly keeping one or 2 freshwater fish tanks and have just recently started into planted tanks. The medium to heavily planted tank i have now is a 20gal tall with DIY CO2 with a ceramic diffusor, Tetra Whisper EX30, an Aqueon quietflow 55, and an Aqueon 16watt T5 with a colormax and a 6700k plant light in it. Substrate is just flourite, about 2 inches deep. Most of the plants are low light to medium light. The tank has one full grown tiger angelfish, 1 glowfish, 1 albino cory cat and 1 platy.

There are 2 filters on there for 2 reasons. I always over filter and I always have a backup ready in the event that one fails.

I don't add anything additional to the tank. Not to sure what should be added. I was adding Flourish Excel up until I put the DIY CO2 setup.

The tank has been running for about 3-4 months and i seem to have decent growth since I had to thin out much of the plants. But lately I have a reddish/brown algae forming on everything. The green algae I'm not to worried about as it seems to only form on the glass and I kinda want it to build up for the albino bristlenose pleco I have for the tank.

My questions:
what chemicals should I be adding to help growth? or stop algae growth? I know that the flourish is supposed to help but hasn't.

Is the red/brown algae hurting the tank?

And how do I kill snails without using copper supplements? They are pest snails that I think I got on a plant from the lfs. They are wrecking my Anubis and watersprite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

really? 48 veiws and not a single response? What gives? Is it cause i just signed up for the forum? Not enough posts to warrant a response?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
ony
Planted Member

For the pest snails you could add assassin snails. They take a while to make an impact but once they get going they really do the job.

Your plec is more likely to munch the brown algae than the green and he would probably prefer some blanched veg. I guess no one replied because its a hard problem to fix. Check out the algae forums for help, but its probably just a case of trial and error. Try adjusting the photoperiod, changing the ferts, CO2 etc. I just tried changing things one by one until it went away. Have now started cranking things back up one thing at a time and it hasn't returned, no idea what did the trick.

The ferts question is another big question. I use an all in one trace stuff and the same brand of macro once a week but I'm in no way an expert. Check out the ferts and water parameters bit of the forum and read up on dry ferts and dosing regimes.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ony View Post
For the pest snails you could add assassin snails. They take a while to make an impact but once they get going they really do the job.

Your plec is more likely to munch the brown algae than the green and he would probably prefer some blanched veg. I guess no one replied because its a hard problem to fix. Check out the algae forums for help, but its probably just a case of trial and error. Try adjusting the photoperiod, changing the ferts, CO2 etc. I just tried changing things one by one until it went away. Have now started cranking things back up one thing at a time and it hasn't returned, no idea what did the trick.

The ferts question is another big question. I use an all in one trace stuff and the same brand of macro once a week but I'm in no way an expert. Check out the ferts and water parameters bit of the forum and read up on dry ferts and dosing regimes.

Thanks. I treid assasins but they did nothing. Strangest thing. Put 2 in there and watched them just move around the other snails, eventually they died off.

As for the Plec, she gets all sorts of veggies from zuch, cucumber, strawberries and so on. wasn't expecting it to get over grown, jsut some patches for her to clean up.

I will try that out. thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You have about the same light intensity as my 65 gallon tank - 20-25 micromols of PAR. I use a different substrate, black diamond blasting grit over a half inch thick layer of mineralized topsoil. I dose fertilizers per https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944 dosing about half the weekly dosage shown in the tables, but I dose 1/7 of that every day. I use DIY CO2, as you do. And, I don't have algae problems. The big difference seems to be fertilizer dosing, so I suggest you read that link, buy the chemicals and start dosing.

Another possible difference is that I use 2 DIY CO2 bottles, changing one per week, to try to keep the CO2 concentration as uniform as I can, and I do my solution changes at night, after the lights go off. I also use a good diffusion method: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=178503 You might want to try something like that.

Hoppy

Last edited by Hoppy; 07-31-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode