fresh river plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
fresh river plants?

I am going to a spring/river on sunday and was wondering if its ok to collect some plants to put into my tank. Petsmart only had tall plants so im going to be looking for moss and maybe some kind of grassy something to fill in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It depends where. National parks usually don't want you to ruin the environment.

But you should find some good plant in Florida. The majority of the plants will be on the river bank. You'll find giant, dwarf hair grass and lots of stems like ludwigia. You'll need to know what they look like though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is often done locally. I have done it a few times with mixed results. I find I don't need to know what the plant is but do need to take some extra care. One is having a separate tank to put the plants in until I find out more about what I have. The first step in collecting for me is finding the right spot. It needs to be a place which is not protected by rules, etc. Then it also has to be a place where I will find true water plants. Not plants that happen to be in water because of rain!

When I get them home and in a tank, I find all kinds of things that surprise me. Nature comes in lots of forms, most of them safe but still a surprise. Some live, some die but it is all still a part of the fun. Most of us need more cheap exercise and this is an excuse to get out and waddle around in the mud!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How long do you typically keep them in a seperate tank and what are you looking for before you move it into an established tank?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can sterilize it in a H2O2 solution or Potassium permanganate to get rid of bugs & snails. Give it a good wash and put it into your tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
If you are collecting mosses from the wild, just be aware, the mosses will be loaded with living organisms, some of which may be predatory. I have done this in the past and provided my fish with loads of wild food, though I did have to pick out some predatory beetles and larvae. You should be able to find soe fissidens in your area.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well i just set up my tank yestrday so i dont have to worry too much about anything getting fish because i dnt have any yet and do you just rinse in tap water? How will this affect cycling?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When I bring it home there are two major things that I want to know. One is how much the dirt on the roots will mess with the water. I like to let it do that in a separate tank. Not a biggie usually. Second is what little critters are in the plant. Normally a few and nothing my fish can't handle. But then I do larger fish than many planted tanks. I have fish that bite ME so bugs are no problem to them. And then when it is all calming down, the question is how long will these live? I let them stay in QT until that is obvious. Just to avoid messing with something that may have to be pulled out as DOA.
When things are looking pretty good, at some point I add a fish or two and just kind of observe what they do with the plants. Sometimes a plant is just a salad bar to be destroyed so those don't work for me. I tend to like plants but the fish are tops and so if there is conflict the plant has to go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode