worms in rili tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
worms in rili tank?

Just noticed these suckers in my red rili tank. They look red/brown and about a quarter inch to an inch long. Majority of them are wiggling around in the substrate. I know overfeeding may be the cause, but I barely feed this tank. I drop 1-2 granules of food for 20+ rilis every 2-3 days inside a feeding dish. Part of me wants to add a nice nano fish to this tank, but this is also my first shrimp only tank so getting my first colony going would be nice too. If these worms end up being some type of edible nematode I might just add a scarlet badis I've been itching to get. I don't think I'm dealing with planaria, but I'll let you guys decide as this is all new to me. Thanks.

My crappy attempt at a video of a free swimming worm I was able to suck out
http://youtu.be/H7lqY5CHwrU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Definitely not planaria. Planaria are white with an arrow shaped head. Don't think it's a leech either. Maybe bloodworms? Whatever it is, I'm sure a fish would love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
nematodes i have a crap load of them i kinda like em they dont cause any issues and if i want to "treat" my other fish i just stir some up and catch what comes loose and dump em in. i dont think there an inch long though. its a horrible pic as white isnt a good contrast color but the way it swims look like it, u can stir one up an watch it swim it will have a clear way of swimming forward head stays still body moves kinda like a sperm.

if u do add a fish it will go after the babie shrimp its just part of nature.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
It looks like a bloodworm. My boyfriend bought some for his fire belly newts and just dropped them in the tank. They made their home in the sand on the bottom of the tank. They would just poke out a little bit and wiggle. They can also get pretty long too. The newts go crazy over them so im sure your fish would love them
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the input. I first tried to catch the video in a clear container, but that ended up worse than the white ashtray. I too thought they were blood worms, but I have yet to feed live food in this tank and am unsure where they came from. Must've hitched a ride on something I added to the tank. Unfortunately this is a shrimp only tank at the moment. Is there an easy way to catch these things other than siphoning the substrate? Sucking up aquasoil then adding it back into a shrimp tank doesn't sound like a good idea. I have a community tank that would benefit greatly from fresh live food.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What's the odds of the shrimp liking them as well? Question from a guy who does not do shrimp!

I drag home a fair number of plants and put them in QT. I now have several mutts that I use when I find things in the QT. Most of them disappear quickly once the mutts are added to the tank. I suspect it would be very hard to get All of them caught as there will be more in hidden spots where you can't find them and if they like conditions, they will breed more.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've had amanos that would snatch frozen blood worms when I had a puffer in this tank. No idea if the rilis would eat them though. Didn't even think about that till you brought it up, I may just get a couple amanos to hopefully keep these worms at bay.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
When my boyfriends tank started to look overrun with them he just stirred up the sand. Most of them die out over time but those last few he just stirred up and they disappeared
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry dude.. their are there to stay.. I got them and I remember going crazy trying to get them all out.. not happening. If there is no shrimp you can maybe put some chemical in the water that would kill them but I would not put in shrimp after that for a long time. Oh, and I saw one about two days ago and he was 2 inches long!

But like I said... I got them and they give me no problem. In fact I grew to like them a lot.

Do not overfeed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode