some advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
some advice

So I was looking for a new tank on craigslist. I FINALLY got a great deal on a tank and a whole bunch of accesories! I figured I would share my find while asking 2 quick questions.

Its a 26 gallon bowfront and stand. It has a glass top and also came with the 2 filters on the top as well as everything inside. The filters are an aquaclear 50 and an aquaclear 70. I paid only $50 for all of this minus the light. The previous owner was asking $20 for the light and everything else was such a good deal that I agreed.

Now the first question is should I buy all new filter media for the filters? Im only planning on using one since I think both of them would be over kill for just a shrimp tank. Also which filter would you recommend I use?

Second question what is this thing? I think its a sponge filter but I just want to double check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What kind of light is it? (T8 fluorescent, screw-in bulb sockets, 2 tube T5, etc.) The tank is about 21 inches high, so you will need to be sure to use a light that is enough for the plants, but not too much as to cause a lot of algae problems. You did get a good deal on that.

Hoppy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I never actually thought about that Hoppy. I just checked and its a 2 tube t5. I plan on replacing the tube since its looking a little old and since it only came with one. It makes more sense to buy both at the same time than to have an old one and a new one

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
that's definitely a sponge filter, it looks like you have two of them and one replacement sponge. i'd use new media since this is all dried out anyways, and you don't know what nasty stuff might be in it (i guess you could bleach all of it if you really wanted haha)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually only have one of the sponge filters. The other one is on the outtake tube for the filter. Its just how the guy had it all set up when I went to pick it up. I never thought that those would be replacement sponges! Thats exciting! and I think Ill just get new media. Any advice on which filter to run?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydragons View Post
I actually only have one of the sponge filters. The other one is on the outtake tube for the filter. Its just how the guy had it all set up when I went to pick it up. I never thought that those would be replacement sponges! Thats exciting! and I think Ill just get new media. Any advice on which filter to run?
oh, i see xD
i'd run whichever filter has a higher GPH rating :P

also, if it's to be a shrimp tank, you probably want a sponge cover for the intake of your filter so babies don't get sucked in c:
that sponge on the intake doesn't look like something that would keep anything from going up in the filter, it doesn't cover the actual intake part at all... i think fluval makes a good intake sponge.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the help CatB!! I think I will be going with the 70 since its gph is 300 as opposed to the 50 which has a gph of 200. And I do need some sort of sponge cover for the intake. Ill add it to the list!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydragons View Post
Thanks for the help CatB!! I think I will be going with the 70 since its gph is 300 as opposed to the 50 which has a gph of 200. And I do need some sort of sponge cover for the intake. Ill add it to the list!
no problem is this your first shrimp tank? which type are you going with?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Well, don't get too excited yet because most likely you won't find them useful. I assume you want to setup a planted tank. Sponge filters are generally not used. Skip the aquarium salts unless you want to kill the plants.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CatB this will be my first tank set up completely with shrimp in mind. I have some rilis in a tank that i converted from a fish tank. It's a great tank setup and it works really well since i only have neos but I needed a new stand for my tank and this was such a good deal I figuredwhy not set it up exactly the way I want it.

Tetra I wasn't planning on using the sponge filter. I just thought it was exciting that I got one. Could be the noob part of me as for the salts I won't be using them at all. I was really just showing off what I got in my awesome deal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode