Are Oceanics Worth the Money? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Are Oceanics Worth the Money?

I have decided it is time for a tank upgrade. Due to the limited wall space the tank can not exceed 36" in length. So as I see it my options are a 65 AGA, or an 58 gallon Oceanic aquarium. Shopping around I found a LFS that is selling the 65 AGA tank and stand for around $250. Another shop has the 58 gallon Oceanic combo (tank, stand, light strip, and glass top) for $570. I'm in no hurry, well not in that much of a hurry to upgrade my tank. Which brings my to the title of this post, are Oceanics worth the money?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 11:36 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It all depends of what you're after. For me the selling point on my 50 was the width and height of the tank as well as the glass thickness.
The only thing I did'nt like was the fact that unless the tank is set up on one of their own stand the warranty is voided.
Hard to believe that their 5/8 MDF top will offer more support than my 1" oak plywood, LOL. But that's their policy.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
How would they know. . .if it leaks just buy one of their stands if you need to send in a pic.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
another alternative

You might check out glasscages.com. Prices are unbeatable from what I have found. I live about 30 miles from their facility. From what the owner told me the day I picked up my acrylic tank, they are the nations largest custom manufacturer and from what I saw while I was there, I believe him. I had a custom tank built 24Lx20Wx20H, 42g(approx), 3/8" acryllic w/top. I paid $132 incl. tax. It might be worth checking out. The next home we buy, I'll be buying from them again.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
There are a couple of guys that sell tanks that they make with custom stands and canopys on Ebay for some great prices. I believe that they sell a 90 with the stand and canopy for something like $545 (shipped I beleive). The stand and canopy aren't finished, but they are ready to be finished. I think they also sell a 135 for $745. I am probably going to buy my next tank from them. They can also predrill the tank for overflows, etc.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Clownknife Send a message via Yahoo to Clownknife
I have had mine for 13 years with no problems.

Like the post earlier I don't get the stand warranty either.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:10 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I like the Oceanics. The glass is a bit thicker and the trim is a bit fancier. Whether that is important is up to you!

However, I love the Oceanic 58G! I was torn between a 75G and that 58G. I chose the 75G, but will do the 58G eventually. The back to front depth on the 58G is amazing. It has so much potential!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
..... I love the Oceanic 58G!

Mike
Couldnt agree with you more..... I am using a 46 bowfront.....i cant wait to get a 58 to replace it. I also like the 37.....once again....so much potential!!
jB
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You guys are beginning to sell me. You don't work on the Ocenaic staff do you ? LOL
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 05:24 AM

I just got an oceanic 30g cube, its pretty awesome, after inspecting it compared to my other all-glass aquariums, they look really nice and they are built really well
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
You might find a shop that will let you just get the stand and tank. What will you need with a stock light strip and a glass top? That should cut cost by at least $100 right there. I say go for the Oceanic.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:46 PM

One more opinion (you know what they say about opinions? lol) I have the Oceanic 50G combo from Petsm*** and love it. From my research they seemed to be built better (fit and finish) than the other off the shelf standard tanks. The stands (like the 58 you are considering) although not as strong as they could be, are quite nice to look at.

The only suggestion I have is if you are going to buy one, measure the inside dimensions to get a more accurate displacement figure. My tank said right on the sticker glued to the glass from the factory, 50 gal. It ain't. The ID are 29.25 X 17.25 X 20 for 43.68g. No big deal really, but it's nice to know. Particularly if you really need 58 gal for your livestock wants/needs.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I like the Oceanics. The glass is a bit thicker and the trim is a bit fancier. Whether that is important is up to you!

However, I love the Oceanic 58G! I was torn between a 75G and that 58G. I chose the 75G, but will do the 58G eventually. The back to front depth on the 58G is amazing. It has so much potential!

Mike
I have the Oceanic "Cube" and I wouldn't trade it for the world, In fact I'm thinking of buying a couple more. The construction says quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:29 PM

keep an eye out for used ones.. I got an oceanic cube, stand and 96w quad strip and glass top for 240 about a week or so ago
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't have any experience with Oceanics, although all the opinions here may have helped me make a decision between it and the AGA. Anyway, what I do know is that I could head over to my LFS that is the local place to buy tanks and grab a bare bones Oceanic right now. If that's what's driving the price up by so much, look around and I'm sure you could find an LFS that does the same.

And now, I think I'll head over to that LFS for my weekly window shop for that new tank.

Pimpin' the Eheim at #153

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode