About to start my first ever Nano Tank, but I got some questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
About to start my first ever Nano Tank, but I got some questions

So, I have a nice little 5 gallon that I am going to be using at my college dorm, mainly because it is easier to transport than a 10 gallon and nicer than those little plastic critter keeper things that my parents think I should have gotten lol

Anyways, I was figuring, since this would be my first go at a nano tank and my first go in a while of starting a tank completely from scratch, that I would dirt the thing. I'm thinking 1" of dirt capped with 1" of pool filter sand should just about do the trick, maybe a little more dirt but idk. I have some top soil handy, but I don't have clay and all that handy at all so I'm not sure if I will bother making it MTS. Anything I should look out for though in my choice of dirt? I'll try and get the name of what I have in the morning or something, just to check.

My next question, after substrate, is how to do a dry start. I figure, if I am doing a dirt tank form scratch that I have the freedom to take as long as I want with starting it, and I have always wanted a small little carpet of dwarf baby tears going on. Any tips or suggestions for this dry start? Also, I'm not fully sure of what plants I want in this thing, I can say for sure that I don't think this thing could possibly be low light, and I will be doing some diy co2 with this little tank, so I was wondering if there were any other plants worth having in the dry start, or if I should just leave the dry start for the HC and then just grow everything else purely submerged.

I forgot what its like to start with a waterless tank and turn it into something great

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
dirt: you want something organic, miracle grow organic potting soil is used a lot.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
5 gallons I say do ADA Amazonia (one big bag and you're good, ~30 dollars) and the rest will be easy.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
^I would do ADA Amazonia...but I don't exactly have $30 to spare on buying more things online atm XD
Also, I'd be more willing to spend more money if it was on a tank that is going to be staying in one place (moving a completely setup 5 gallon is do-able but I'm not going to place a ton of $ into it either lol)

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode