Cash crops? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cash crops?

I'm looking to start breeding/growing livestock or flora as a means to offset some of the cost of my hobby. It seems to me that shrimp are the most efficient thing to breed and sell in terms of space required but the initial investment seems pretty high. Is there a better option? Also are there any plants that tend to go for a lot that I might want to invest in propagating? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idleivey View Post
I'm looking to start breeding/growing livestock or flora as a means to offset some of the cost of my hobby. It seems to me that shrimp are the most efficient thing to breed and sell in terms of space required but the initial investment seems pretty high. Is there a better option? Also are there any plants that tend to go for a lot that I might want to invest in propagating? Thanks.
if we all had that figured out, none of us would be on here

the best most of us can try and do is break somewhat even through trades and small sales
the big guns wont tell u their secrets and honestly i hope don't
i wouldnt tell u my sales secrets either if i had any

Sump Pimp #7

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Do things green. Use sunlight, no heaters or powerfilters. Air driven sponge filters only will save a decent amount on electeicity. In terms of money makers shrimp are good cost off setters. But if you dont have much experience keeping higher need plants and shrimp it may be hard to just jump into trying to make money on high cost flora/fauna

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Unless you want to go all out and do it right, the best you might do is break even. That's if you don't count labor! If you have a place to sell them, angelfish are as easy as any and sell as well as any.
Personal experience? I found a guy who wanted me to raise fish to sell through his shop. All went well until the fish reached the size he specified. Then he had all kinds of complaints about color, fin shape, etc. and since it would be "so hard" for him, he could only give me half of what he had talked. Now, I don't breed and raise fish! I'm still pushing fish from my house!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Almost anything can be a cash crop as long as you have an abundance of it and can produce it with quality. Cherry shrimp are easily bred and culled. You can sell them for varying prices. Erios, buces, other rare plants or desired stems, mosses, carpets, etc can all be profitable.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome thanks for the tips.

DerekFF: The tip about the sponge filters is great. Power has been a primary concern as it is the silent killer.

PlantedRich: Yeah that sounds like what would happen to me. Online sales seem to be the best bet but now were basically talking about a second job. I was just hoping to generate enough income to soften the blow on the wallet a little

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
It's simple really... find a few plants that grow really well in your tank, preferably in demand as well. And farm them! For example. Syngonathus 'Belem' grows at an extremely fast rate in my tank for some reason, so I regularly sell large orders of that.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
It only took me 35 years to learn how to make more than I spend in this hobby

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Free CO2 in the air by growing emersed.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
The "problem" with shrimp is it takes a while to build up your colony until its large enough to start producing, and by that time that particular shrimp is no longer popular or the market is saturated with them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's not the growing that turned out to be the problem for me. It is the marketing and dealing with all the variables. As long as one can find a way around that, it gets better. The internet and shipping plants, looks like an agreeable way to go. But then you start to run into the questions of what is worth the time. Is it practical to make a trip to ship a five dollar item two or three times a week? By the time I began to figure in how long it took to catch fish and bag them, keep supplies stocked and deal with customers, I decided the odds on the stock market were not that bad!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode