Bay Area Stores - Where To Go? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bay Area Stores - Where To Go?

I'm going to be in the Bay Area next week and I'm hoping to find some nice stores that have good plant selections and nice display tanks. Any recommendations? I'll be in the San Mateo and San Jose areas primarily, but that doesn't mean I won't drive to a place that's a must see. Thanks!

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 02:52 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
DUDE! Dude dude dude! check this out: www.fishstorereview.com.

Click on Northern California. You will find stores to your heart's content. My personal recommendations: the one in Albany, Dolphin Pet Village.

Is there anything specific you're looking for? I can check with my store contacts and see if anyone's carrying them!

I love it when people visit the Bay!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey, thanks for the link! Whereabouts is Albany?

I'm not really looking for anything specific as I probably won't be able to take anything home with me, I just really like going into new stores to see how they're setup. I like to see a place that's well run, well kept and has knowledgeable and nice people working there.

If anybody's up for getting together between June 26th and July 3rd for a store tour/pub crawl, let me know. I'd be happy to chauffer

Paul

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:12 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ok! I'll try and remember the dates and see if I''m free!

As for stores and such? Aquatic Variations in Mountain View. Hands down THE healthiest fish you will ever see. And the guys that run the store are suuuuuuuper sweet (except the guy in the glasses - he's really shy) They're closed on Wednesdays, though. Friday is the best day as they've just gotten new fish in the day before.

The tanks are immaculate!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Running
Hey, thanks for the link! Whereabouts is Albany?

I'm not really looking for anything specific as I probably won't be able to take anything home with me, I just really like going into new stores to see how they're setup. I like to see a place that's well run, well kept and has knowledgeable and nice people working there.

If anybody's up for getting together between June 26th and July 3rd for a store tour/pub crawl, let me know. I'd be happy to chauffer
Albany is right next to Berkeley, which is next to San Francisco.

Eric

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
...which is next to San Francisco.
Well, there is that small body of water, known locally as The Bay, that separates the two.

óBill

|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
If you're looking for a place with selection, you may check out Nippon Goldfish(don't let the name fool you) in San Francisco, on Geary Street. Ocean Aquarium is a nice one too, also in S.F.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
If you're looking for a place with selection, you may check out Nippon Goldfish(don't let the name fool you) in San Francisco, on Geary Street. Ocean Aquarium is a nice one too, also in S.F.
Nippon Goldfish went out of buiseness the other week.
If you don't mind driving up to SF, visit Ocean Aquariun and 6th Ave Aquarium.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all of the tips. It'll be a good diversion from sitting pool side all week...

Paul

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm heading out tomorrow, so anybody who's up for the tour/crawl, drop me a line so we can set something up. I'll have limited email access while I'm down there, but will be able to check in a couple of times while I'm there. Hope to meet some of you.

Paul

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to bavarian3
i went to oceans aquarium, it took me 2 tries to find it. But i found it and i was pretty disapointed, it was really small and didnt have much although they had a few decent show tanks.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino
Nippon Goldfish went out of buiseness the other week.
Really? Are they currently clearencing out their stock or are they completely closed down? Sucks for them.

Eheim Pimp Club member #113

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaoopa
Really? Are they currently clearencing out their stock or are they completely closed down? Sucks for them.
I think Tom Barr mentioned that they were shutting down their retail business but keeping their maintenance/services operation going.

óBill

|
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I talked to Steve, Ernie retired.

They are getting pounded like all the other retail fish shops, by the internet and chains.

Albany is on San Pablo Ave.
Ocean is off of VanNess on Cedar, it's a hole in the wall location.
The others are down south and are easier to find.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Well if you are in San Jose you have to go to Brians Fish on Blossom Hill and Dolphin Pet in Campbell, none of which by the way have much of a selection of plants. Aquatic variations in Mt view was one of the stores who told me, "we only carry the bread and butter plants, (common plants, swords and a few stems) because our customers are not into plants".

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode