first plant to reach the surface!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
first plant to reach the surface!!

today my first plant grew to the surface!! About a month ago i changed the gravel from that neon crap to eco-complete and then went and bought some various new plants. Hygrophila, Amazon Sword, Rotala, Cabomba and Anacharis then i started using flourish and flourish-excel and these plants have been growing like crazy! In the last 2 weeks i would say the rotala and cabomba were growing a half inch to an inch a day. So the rotala hit the surface today. Dont know what type of rotala it is specifically, anyone know the exact type, heres a photo of the tank and a close up of the rotala
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...nni111/007.jpg
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...nni111/009.jpg

also with this type of rotala can i just cut it and replant the piece and itll sprout roots? I already did that with a piece of cabomba and it worked

the fish love having the plants, they provide all sorts of new sections for them to hang out in and have some quiet time from the other fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice growth!

You have a pretty wild variety of fish. Also, an angel fish in a ten gallon?

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Cabomba and rotala rotundifolia/Indica are 2 very very easy growing plants. Your light is what drives growth. Looks like your in a lower light range. In higher light with all the proper nutrients the rotala rotundifolia will turn redish/pink on the leaves. Depending on what Cabomba you have some like the Silver I have get silver tips, Or the purple gets purple or even the red/furcata turns nice and red.

The Eco complete is decent substrate but one thing to remember is it sucks up nutrients and then releases them So you need to be sure to feed the substrate nutrients to do so. Also dosing the water column with the correct amount of the right nutrients can be a great benefit for your stems and other plants. Right now with the Flourish you only dosing Micro nutrients and no Macro. You will need macro eventually NPK. Without it most plants will eventually show signs of nutrient issues. Excel isnt really a fert but a Chemical compound known as glutaraldehyde. Plants have the ability to pull some forms of Carbon from this as well as it acts as a Algacyde.

Yes you can cut the stem and replant it. I recommend to do so where a stem joins the other or at a leaf node.

You will find your plants are reaching for the light and will grow taller due to the lower light. In a little higher light (higher low light or low medium light) the plants will actually grow fuller and more bushy instead of just upward. Of course this with along proper nutrients.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
Nice growth!

You have a pretty wild variety of fish. Also, an angel fish in a ten gallon?

Also a Red tail. They also get quite large. even larger then the angel.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Banned

And I think I see a single serpae tetra? He must be pretty lonely.

You should get a bigger tank, look on craigslist.

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks alot for the info, the tank is a 20 gallon, and ill be moving them into a 55 gallon next month. The Serpae Tetra sometimes hangs out with the tiger barbs as they school with each other and the 2 red glowlight tetras in the bottom area of the tank, that seems to be their domain. But i will get another serpae or 2 for him to hang with.

is there a product i can buy that provides macronutrients? still learning about keeping a healthy planted tank, before changing to eco-complete and using flourish and the excel i would buy a couple plants that would last 3 months or so before they started dying then i would just buy new plants.

the cabomba seems to have purple tips, they close up toward the end of the day and then i see the purple better
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im confused now, isnt Flourish a mix of macronutrients, it says on the back it has nitrogen,phosphate,potassium(as potash),calcium,magnesium,iron etc? im using both Flourish and Flourish-excel which says its carbon but its that glutaraldehyde you said.

heres a photo of the 3 marble shrimp in the tank too, shrimp are great to look at with their little fan hands

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

after reading some more stuff i found out that Seachem makes specific Flourish products for Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium, should i just buy these and use them as well?
what about Flourish Iron?

also i just read if your bio-load is considered high you dont need to add much or any nitrogen as the fish provide it to the plants?
is it possible to overdose on the 3 macros?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 AM
Banned

Those are bamboo shrimp or flower shrimp.

Do you have good flow in your tank? They like a LOT of flow. Mine like staying about 6 or 7 inches from my powerhead. (pretty much as close as they can get with the way it's all set up.)

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah the shop called them marble shrimp which id never heard of before, i thought they looked more like bamboo, any reason why one is reddish and the other 2 darker brownish? is it a male/female thing or what?

the filter provides good water flow, they stand on a leaf or on the bridge decoration right underneath the flow with their fan hands open and let the food come to them, none of the fish ever bother them
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
flourish comprehensive is a blend of MICROnutrients and trace elements, you can get macros cheapest dry instead of buying the seachem solutions.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
WARNING! much to learn and little time to take all suggestions!
You've got a good start and I find one of the worst things to do is doing too much at once. Go slow on making changes when things are working. You will always want to make some changes. That's normal but it can lead to disaster if you go too fast before getting all the parts together.
I think using dry ferts will work better in the long run but it takes some study. The nitrate may in fact be there from the fish and food. You will need to test before adding more. Too much and you may have a major challenge with algae. It is far better to avoid the problems than to try to figure how to fix them.
I suggest reading up a bunch on dry ferts and dosing and then try to go slow on changing some things like that. Like riding a bike. Don't jerk the wheel!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info again, im gonna go see what dry macro ferts they have at the best shop in my area and see if they have that flourish phosphorus and potassium otherwise ill get it on drsfostersmith site wheres its pretty cheap compared to what im seeing on amazon

gonna use little or no nitrogen and see how it goes with the test strips
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
WARNING! much to learn and little time to take all suggestions!
You've got a good start and I find one of the worst things to do is doing too much at once. Go slow on making changes when things are working. You will always want to make some changes. That's normal but it can lead to disaster if you go too fast before getting all the parts together.
I think using dry ferts will work better in the long run but it takes some study. The nitrate may in fact be there from the fish and food. You will need to test before adding more. Too much and you may have a major challenge with algae. It is far better to avoid the problems than to try to figure how to fix them.
I suggest reading up a bunch on dry ferts and dosing and then try to go slow on changing some things like that. Like riding a bike. Don't jerk the wheel!

So, you think/feel to much nitrates or macros will cause algae? Explain then how EI dosing works and doesn't cause algae?

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Congrats on the new growth and getting rid of the clown puke gravel. My suggestion would be to get some dry ferts. There's a sticky on EI dosing. The stuff of dirt cheap compared to what you're using.

You definitely have some major issues with your stocking and tank size but once you get that sorted out maybe try DIY CO2. that'll give you a real growth explosion. That's down the line though.

Your tank looks really pretty. I have one more little suggestion and I'll apologize in advance, please take the little bridge and put it with your old gravel. Natural is always better in my opinion.

Again, your tank looks green, healthy and pretty.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails: JUST SAY NO!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode