question for EI users - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
question for EI users

I have a question for those of you who use EI. Are you simply adding the amounts recommended by Tom, or do you tailor the dosing more specifically to the needs of your tank? The reason I'm asking is because I went from the suggested amounts to less and started running into trouble with a little algae. Since then I've gone back to the "standard" EI dosing and all is fine again. I guess that means if it aint broke...well you know.
Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

Smile

I will have to agree with you Tom. When you start dosing "EI" you want to stay on a good schedule. Make it kidda habitual. I also ran into some problems when I strayed away from the schedule. It is a great program but it is something IMO that needs to be constant.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I've been doing EI for the a year now and it works good. It's a good starting point. If you want to "mess" with it I would suggest you only change one thing at a time and give it a week or two- possibly longer to see results. Log the results so that you can look back on them. Sometimes limiting certain elements can make certain plants look better, but on the other hand it can make others look worse. I guess it really depends on the tank and lighting. A little trial and error though and you can tailor it to suit what you're after.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've tweaked my dosing a bit. My tap water has 10 ppm nitrate and 3-5 ppm phosphate so I've adjusted my schedule as follows:

Sun: add 5 ppm NO3, no phosphate, 1/2 tea K2SO4
Mon: Eheim liquidoser 8 ml of plantex...might as well use it...so it dumps 8 ml every day for 5 days (total 40 ml) which is about right if I split it into three separate doses
Thursday: 1/2 tea KNO3, 1/16 KH2PO4, 1/4 tea K2SO4

So basically I only have to really dose macros once a week and I let my liquidoser do my micros. The liquidoser is set for its first revolution at about 11 am and I dump my ferts in at about 7am before I leave for work so I don't have to worry about precipitation on Thursdays from the phosphate (but then there is already so much in the water anyways!!)

Re-boot!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:37 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you do change anything, I would almost expect to see some algae show up shortly thereafter (one of the reasons I kept resisting bumping my trace mix to a more acceptable level). As mentioned above, how long after the change did you wait to see if the tank would reach a new balance? That waiting part, of course, is the hard part!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Tom recommends 3 weeks at least between changes in reg.
jB
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban
Tom recommends 3 weeks at least between changes in reg.
jB

I suppose that's true...but I started off my regimen when I first moved (back at the end of April). I found that I could scale back my dosing a bit when I upgraded from 46g to 65...with the same lighting. It went from 4 wpg to a bit under 3, so uptake was a bit slower than I was used to.

I started slow with macros (I didn't add anything on water change days) and then added only 1/4 tea of NO3 on Tue and 1/4 tea NO3 + 1/16 PO4 on Thurs. On micro days I only added 10 mL...I found I could bump that to 12-14 so hense I started using the liquidoser again. Things have been going very well so far!! All I do know is sit back, relax and enjoy the view

Re-boot!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
I do know is sit back, relax and enjoy the view

Now you're talking!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmagni
Yeah I've been doing EI for the a year now and it works good. It's a good starting point. If you want to "mess" with it I would suggest you only change one thing at a time and give it a week or two- possibly longer to see results. Log the results so that you can look back on them. Sometimes limiting certain elements can make certain plants look better, but on the other hand it can make others look worse. I guess it really depends on the tank and lighting. A little trial and error though and you can tailor it to suit what you're after.
This is a part of the EI folks miss often.
You can test without a test kit by adding less/more of one nutrients at a time.(generally I suggest 3 weeks per change).

Rather than focusing on the test kits, ppm etc, you see plant response.
Ultimately that is what our real concern here is.

This takes some time to test the up/down range of each nutrient, but basically you have CO2(always high!!! or else non CO2)--> no need top monket with that except make sure you have enough(30ppm or so), NO3, PO4, K, Ca, Mg, SO4(don't bother), Traces.
There are others but these are the one's that make a significant difference.

So that's only 3-6 things to play with and EI will give you a starting point.
Sinmply add more till it's unreasonable and add less less till you see a negative response from the plants and then bump back up from there.

I suppose many might say this PPS without a test kit.
It does individualize the tank's needs and allows you to do that with a very simple method and no test kits except for good CO2.

Why use test kits, calibration of them, making all sorts of precise measurements when ther ultimate goal is a nice planted tank.

Heck, cut to the chase and do that.
Then you can see how the plants respond without all that work.
It'll take less time and effort to do that also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain
This is a part of the EI folks miss often.
You can test without a test kit by adding less/more of one nutrients at a time.(generally I suggest 3 weeks per change).
www.BarrReport.com
I must admit though I'm not brave enough to go without any testing at all. Especially in the initial set-up of the tank I like to test just to settle my nerves and be sure my dosing is not way off and also to get a feel of plant uptake rate. As the tank settles in and I find myself sticking to a certain dosing routine I back off the testing and only do random checks to make sure nothing has changed and perhaps nip any deficiencies in the bud before they show up in the plant growth. I also tend to correlate what I see to what the test kit says and log that in my notes for future reference. To me the accuracy of the test is all relative. I just stick with the same brand so that my observations I noted in plant growth at say 5ppm nitrate last year would more likely than not yield the same results at 5ppm nitrate today.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode