Pond plants in planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pond plants in planted tank?

In searching for more economical resources for plants, I noticed that at Lowe's they had some submersed plants called oxigenators in their pond section. In thinking about that I thought if I went to a store specializing in ponds, could I find some plants there that I could divide instead of paying $5.00 a plant at the LFS? Lowe's had dwarf grass for $5.00 for a huge container. Would I risk getting some undesirables? Yes I would have to clean off the soil from the roots or at least as much as I can.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Paulette

75 gal planted is now a reality!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yes. The hairgrass was the same one we use in the aquariums. When I picked up a pot it was on clearance sale that day for a buck. The fun part was seperating out clumps of the plants and getting them all planted.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 01:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Most aquarium plant are grown emersed then set to the LFS to be sold submerged. The problem is that the emersed grown plant will loose leaves when submerged. I have seen those pond plants at Lowe's. They look nasty to me. If I was going to use them in my aquarium I would do a major rinsing and a mild bleach dip if the plant could handle it. I use Pennywort and Creeping Jenny in my aquarium as well as my pond I am sure you can use others but I have a shaded pond. These two are the only two I use in both.

Hawk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode