60Gallon Discus Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
60Gallon Discus Cube

Hey guys, I had a diary thread on my 60 gallon cube tank a while back, and since then have made some major changes. Here's the quick stats:
--It's a 24"X24"X24" cube
--lighting is both 1 each of T5 normal and high output 2 bulb fixtures. So 4 bubls total, but only 2 are high output.
--No CO2, but that may change soon.
--Marineland C-360 Canister filter (swapped the Carbon for Peat granules to lower the PH and soften the water)

Fish list:
--3 Discus (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
--3 Denison barbs
--4 Julii Cori Cats
--1 Red Spotted Gold Severum

Plant List:
--4 various Anubias plants attached to the driftwood
--2 different types of fern attached to driftwood
--2 Amazon Swords
--1 Uroguyensis Sword
--1 Red Rubin Sword
--8 clumps of "tape grass"
--Random mosses strewn about
--3 Glosso patches

I need a school of small schooling fish, and I want to stick to the south american blackwater theme, other than the denison barbs which i know are asian. They're the fish I've had the longest and dont want to get rid of them, but otherwise would like a Amazon theme.

Anyway, here's pics.

First, I picture of what it looked like BEFORE I re-arranged the driftwood and plants today. I didn't like the amount of space the wood took up, and felt like it would eventually restrict the movement of the discus too much once they grow bigger.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And here's what it looks like now:

Some of the moss.

Couple pics of the fish that I could get a decent pic of

Hope you like it! I'm loving my discus, personally. First time i've had the guts to try some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
you should get more barbs and cories! they're happier in larger groups ;u;
i think you have room...
anyways, nice tank, nice discus! if i had the money and the guts, i'd get some myself just for the heck of it xD
they're so pretty ;u;
is the last one a wild type?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, forgot to mention that I dose the tank with both Blackwater Conditioner and Discus Trace Elements liquids from Brightwell Aquatics. I also just put the peat granules into the canister filter today when I cleaned it, so the water hasn't had time to really stain any yet, but hopefully over the next few weeks it will become that authentic Blackwater look. Wierdly, the driftwood has never leached tannins into the water at all, or dropped the PH. I wish it would, I really don't want to chemically drop the PH, in case I screw somethign up or do it too fast or unnaturally.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh, thanks for the fast reply! haha

The last one isn't wild, I think he was just slightly stressed when I took the picture. They show the bars like that when they feel uneasy, like when you first add them to the tank, or when the severum comes near them (even though he never shows any aggression at all).

And I was thinking about getting probably 2-3 more corys and a school of maybe 8 of the Red Coral Pencilfish for my small schooler. If I can't find any of those (wouldnt surprise me) I could settle for like 15 cardinal tetras.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode