Soaking Seiryu stones in Muriatic Acid - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Soaking Seiryu stones in Muriatic Acid

Hey guys I am setting up a new tank with some Seiryu stones and I soaked them in Muriatic Acid today to make the black color come out more, I was wondering how well I need to clean it afterwards before I put it in the tank? Will a simple rinse do it? If you guys have some Seiryu stones you haven't soaked you should try it the stone looks completely different afterwards! I will post some pictures later if anybody is interested in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not sure myself so I'd say rinse is the bare minimum and you can go further by boiling it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think I would be soaking them in baking soda water mix. to nuetralize then lots of clear water rinse/soak.

I used to manage a commercial cleaning company we used M. acid to clean/bleach concrete at in industrial sites and swimming pools. Extremely dangerous chemical to work with.

We required safety goggles, chemical safe gloves and respirators. We used ventilators fans when working indoors. Please respect Muriatic Acid if you plan to use it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
SCAPEr

I never knew this. Waiting on the pic! Hopefully you have before and after picture.
Btw aren't the stone turn darker by itself as its in the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Yeah, they are going to look completely smaller.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For those wanting to try this, there may be a safer way. Muriatic is dangerouse in the wrong hands! An item called Acid Magic works much the same but is comparatively safe. Still dangerous but much safer as it does not burn skin. I use it to really clean hard water stains but it does take some major rinsing to keep it from crashing the PH.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just keep in mind that Muriatic acid is just a solution of hydrochloric acid. Treat it accordingly

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Not sure myself so I'd say rinse is the bare minimum and you can go further by boiling it.
Be very careful boiling rocks. If there is any air pockets inside the rocks it could cause them to explode.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So here are the pictures of the rocks after the muriatic acid soak, I did not take a picture of them beforehand but I did take a video which I will upload to youtube later if I have the time.

Heres a link to a picture on google of some seiryu stones before a soak, that is pretty much how mine looked when I bought them. After a quick scrubbing they looked a bit darker but there was still a dusty sheen on the rocks which is why I soaked them.
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...76&tx=82&ty=62

So heres two of the most striking ones I had, the rest are mostly black but these ones had the amazing white streaks

I also got some nice pictures of my blue ram earlier thought I'd share them too =D

The rocks definitely turn smaller so don't soak them for too long if you try it!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Heres one of some of the darker rocks without white streaks

It definitely gives the rock a shinier surface, whether this will affect the "natural" look of the stones too much I will see later when I set up the tank. Ill post a picture here so you guys can decide

Heres the video on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM8cp...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by xdestry; 07-25-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: asdf
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
That's awesome. I'm eager to see the stones in your scape.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
That's awesome. I'm eager to see the stones in your scape.
Thanks tylergvolk, I posted up some pictures here in the journal section, check it out!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184855
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
SCAPEr

Wow that picture with the stones on your desk... It looks like the stones are wet already. Or is it?

|

|
|

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Wow that picture with the stones on your desk... It looks like the stones are wet already. Or is it?
They aren't! Thats how they look after the acid soak
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It looks cool but I think it draws away from the natural look

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode