Just what would you put in this tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just what would you put in this tank?

Found this ad on craigslist here in Atlanta.
A very interesting tank to say the least. I would be interested if I had a space I could put a 10 foot long x 14 inch wide x 22 inch deep tank

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/for/3150287664.html

It would make one heck of a cichlid tank or a great discus tank, maybe the ultimate planted shrimp tank?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Would be a good discuss or angelfish tank.

The width could have been a bit wider but just stick to small fish.

For $250 I'd snatch it up and find some way to put that in my Corolla, even hanging out the window!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
That's, what, 160ish gallons?

I'd go with 200ish small fish like Boraras brigittae (take that with a grain of salt, they're my favorite) or 200ish Kubotai. Or go with a bunch of Neons or Embers.

Could also have a huge school of small Cories.

Shrimp would be awesome but it's awfully deep for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
That's, what, 160ish gallons?

I'd go with 200ish small fish like Boraras brigittae (take that with a grain of salt, they're my favorite) or 200ish Kubotai. Or go with a bunch of Neons or Embers.

Could also have a huge school of small Cories.

Shrimp would be awesome but it's awfully deep for that.
according to a tank calculator site I found on the web the dimensions work out to about 230 gallons.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wish that was in ny.. pick that Damn thing up! Lol 10 feet is great.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Multiply length, width and height in inches. Divide by 231. Orů Multiply length, width and height in inches. Multiply by 0.00433.

160 gallons.

That's still a huge volume and you could have an absolutely giant swarm of tiny fish. It'll be gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstamper View Post
according to a tank calculator site I found on the web the dimensions work out to about 230 gallons.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Multiply length, width and height in inches. Divide by 231. Orů Multiply length, width and height in inches. Multiply by 0.00433.

160 gallons.

That's still a huge volume and you could have an absolutely giant swarm of tiny fish. It'll be gorgeous.
I agree with that assesment. I am a chef by trade and I, by default, when figuring volumes and weights I default to multipling by 16 ad I should have done 12 when figuring out how many inches were in 10 feet. OOPPPPS!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Looks like a race track to me. What are some fast swimming schooling small fish? My Black Neon Tetras adore racing from one end of the 8' tank to the other, suspect there are lots of other small fish that would love the same room to run. Bloodfins maybe? Then a huge number of otos and corydoras just because they are so neat. Any larger fish really needs to be less than 3" or so so they don't look like they need to do 3 point turns to go the other way.

Great deal if you have a spot for it. Be a neat project to design.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
hello rainbows and other similar sized or smaller schooling fish

heck, I'd even be tempted to throw in a ton of female bettas or something

The silliest thing I would do though, would be to just add a pair of endler guppies and then look at the tank in a year and wonder where all those fish came from lol

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Planted Member

i would put something fast in it, or a schooling fish group. orr mabe in the middle plant it so thick that u can keep one school on one side one school on the other.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A Super Red Arowana

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That'd be a nice African cichlid tank
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

North American gamefish

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
better question... where would you put that thing? lol. 10 feet would take up a whole wall. I'm not a real big fan of long skinny tanks but that's a steal if you were looking for something like that in the first place. You could do just about anything in that tank. Discus, angels, planted tank with lots of schooling fish. The possibilities are endless.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I HAVE THE PERFECT PLAN

use it as a grow out for some arapima, then get a massive tank or pond or something and have an army of arapima.
Bonus points of you can plant it...though I'd be terrified to see the lights needed on a tank deep enough for arapima yet bright enough for plants

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode